Phytolacca americana

Rgds

o
RE: Plant

Aka Pokeweed.

o

poisonous in all aspects ..

especially it pretty grape colored seeds.. if you have kids around ...

if you let the seeds ripen..and fall to the ground.. every single one of them will grow next year .. those the birds dont take for an intestinal ride to a neighbors garden ...

it has a deep horseradish like root.. and any piece left.. will be back.. with a vengeance ... it can NOT be easily pulled out.. in most soils ...

ken

ps: unless of course.. if you are of a southern persuasion.. and you boil it twice for 600 hours... then you can make some southern delicacy with it ... lol .. personally... i dont work that hard to eat weeds in my garden ...

o

A native plant with some wildlife benefits. Easy to weed out if you recognize it when it is young. Perfectly fine to leave if you have a big space.

I don't know how kids have lived for so long, ken, with this being around for thousands of years. Just teach your kids not to eat and be done with it. A much better lesson then trying to protect them from every plant in the wild by removing them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here