taras49

poison Ivy?

taras49
10 years ago

I need to know if this is poison ivy, any help will be appreciated

Comments (17)

• Carrie B
    10 years ago

Nope. Most likely Boston ivy, Pathenocissus tricuspidata.

• taras49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pathenocissus tricuspidata? Yea, that's what I thought, LOL Thanks, now I have to find out where the hell I came into contact with poison ivy.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Poison ivy produces 3-parted leaves.

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

It could still have irritated you, there are more plants than poison ivy that can cause a rash. Even English ivy can.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Yes! There are a surprising number of plants that can cause a PI-like rash. Some are sensitive to only one, all, some, it's maddening. Toxicodendron gets all of the credit for these rashes usually, people wondering "when did I touch PI?" If you don't think you did, you probably didn't, it's something else. If you find a plant substance to which you are allergic, you can avoid touching it or any of its' relatives, some of which might surprise you and be in a pot in your house. Harmless unless you contact the sap inside, for most, but a few can cause contact dermatitis like PI, including the common Ficus benjamina.

It took me way too long to realize the decorative sweet potato vine I bought is what keeps (now KEPT) giving me a rash, it has latex in its' sap (also found in Euphorbias and some Ficus.) Finally occurred to me to expand consideration past weeds, assumed I was getting it from yard-gardening activities, not 'house plants.'

Parthenocissus has a different irritant, oxalate, the same irritant present in Dieffenbachia, some Philodendron and Tradescantia, Oxalis. The rash is a reaction to sharp crystals that become embedded in the skin.

Other plants that have given me a rash before include Juniper (common shrub) and Solanum dulcamara (common midwest weed.) How lucky am I to apparently be allergic to any possibly irritating plant?! UGH.

If you need more help investigating, feel free to PM me. Certainly not an expert on poisonous plants, but I know quite a bit about investigating at this point.

• taras49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I understand that it indeed may be an allergy to the Boston Ivy in my yard but I have yet to hear back from my dermatologist. In the meantime I am reluctant to allow my grandchildren in the yard until I am sure. So please bear with me as I post photos of the various plants/weeds in the back

• taras49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More

• taras49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another

• taras49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one more; thank you for your patience

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

That one at 11:53 looks like there is some poison ivy in there closest to the cement wall.

The last two pictures are English ivy.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Agree with esh_ga. Looks like PI to me also.

There's also a vine with arrowhead-shaped leaves in the English ivy.

• TheBlackTulip
    10 years ago

Your last photos are an amalgamation of English Ivy (Invasive) and a type of Field Bindweed (Also non-native).

• taras49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much; It's way in the back behind the shed. My older grandson is going to spray it down tonight. Thank you again.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

If you have poison ivy on your property in one location, it's likely you have it elsewhere also. The best defense is to learn to recognize it.

Poison ivy and poison oak have a compound leaf composed of 3 leaflets. The middle leaflet has a slightly longer "stem" (rachis) that separates it from the other two leaflets. See "C" here (both the way-too-simple poison oak leaf drawings and the poison oak and ivy leaf photos in the rectangle).
    http://waynesword.palomar.edu/termlf1.htm

This page has some photos where you can see poison ivy leaves without too much confusion in the background:
    http://www.maine.gov/agriculture/pesticides/gotpests/weeds/poison-ivy.htm

And here's a site with many photos of poison ivy -- though a lot have the "mitten" shape which I have never seen except in photos:
    http://grandpacliff.com/Plants/PoisonIvy.htm

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Keep in mind that even after you kill it, the dead branches can still affect any one that touches them.

• earline_pa zone 6 Pa.
    10 years ago

Here's some more IMPORTANT info....do not burn it. The smoke can give you a dose of the poison in your lungs.

• taras49
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We called our local nursery and are going to have it removed by a professional. It's worth it, if just for peace of mind. Thanks for all the advice