Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with this tree

Posted by ncbuckeyefan 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 18:59

There is a debate about what this is. Any help appreciated. Current feedback includes dogwood sapling, poison ivy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with this tree

it's not poison anything. but I'm thinking not a dogwood sapling either.

o

I agree that it's not dogwood or PI. It could be an ash sapling. ncbuckeyefan, do you know if the leaves are opposite each other along that main branch? That and the pinnately-compound leaves are ID features of ash trees.

o

Ash.

o

Thank you everyone. My hopes were up for dogwood. Anyone know what a dogwood sapling looks like? I must have them here

o

ncbuckeyefan, here are photos and info for 8 varieties of dogwood which meet the criteria for "tree," and which are recommended as something which you might like in your garden. Just click on everything which begins with "Cornus."
http://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/category/trees/6/?

And here are 5 dogwood "shrubs:"
http://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/category/shrubs/3/?
===

I am not happy with NCSU, which has messed up what used to be a much more accessible database, and seems to have deleted a lot of the photos and info which had been included. (Maybe some of the info is new or updated; I don't know -- but these are the same url's which have been in my bookmarks for at least 4 or 5 years now.)

The original info came from USDA; many state universities (or other state bureaucracies) had access to the same USDA info and produced databases tailored for their areas; the ones I've seen mostly used the same format, so it was obvious they were all based on the same source.

Or maybe it was USDA who messed it up rather than NC State.

o

Anyway, what I should add is that at best you've got some photos of various dogwood leaves, and at the least there are names of some of the many different cultivated varieties.

o

The ash has compound leaves, dogwoods have simple leaves. Both plants have leaves with opposite arrangements. So you need to look for plants with opposite arrangement but simple leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: leaves

o

Maybe check Fraxinus.

o

Thank you. More research to do. I have a LOT of mature dogwoods here. If I have any smaller ones, I'd like to move them. I'll keep searching and appreciate the help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here