Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jazer80

what type of plant

jazer80
9 years ago

My aunt gave me this cutting from her tree but we both don't know the name of this beauty.

Comments (16)

• tolumniamatt
    9 years ago

Rubber Tree or Rubber Plant
    Ficus elastica

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Did this cutting come from a tree growing outside in Z7? It would more likely be Magnolia grandiflora. F. elastica wouldn't be hardy, but could have come from a potted house plant. If the latter, that could explain why it looks like it's getting sunburned.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Def. not Magnolia - looks like a rubber plant to me as well.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

It's definitely a rubber tree. Magnolia leaves don't grow that large.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

The new leaf forming at the apex and leaf arrangement on the stem gives it away and pretty much seals the deal as F elastic.

Al

9 years ago

OK, TY, Carol, Zackey & Al. I rescind my suggestion of Magnolia.

The leaves on a M. grandiflora tree in my Mom's yard are about the same size as those, which look about 5-6" to me in this pic. F. elastica is not hardy in Z7, so my suggestion was dependent upon the preceding question about whether or not the tree was growing in the ground outside.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

No need to explain. Something similar happens to me all the time. I ask a question so I can be sure to give the best answer, and while waiting for the answer someone assumes what I was asking about to be the case and steals the thunder. I'm 100% sure that had you rec'd an answer to your question before we jumped all over it, you'd have concluded Ficus e. You're too careful about your credibility for me to think otherwise.

Al

9 years ago

TY. I do like to follow up with rescinding a suggestion if I've jumped in, then later agree it's not what I suggested, so the OP has a unanimous response, no nagging doubt on my behalf. The only thing wrong with being wrong is on the occasion of being unable to own it.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

It would make a nice house plant in a sunny window and you could put it outside in the summer. I had one years ago and it was very easy to take care of.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if its planted in front of that wall.. i wonder if it might not get fried in sun ...

perhaps its there.. just for the pic ...

ken

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I was just stating my thoughts.

9 years ago

I don't think that's even in the realm of possibility, Zackey. Smiles!!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

dont give it another though zack ...

in fact.. if you hadnt of said that.. i wouldnt have even went back to see what the issue is ... and i dont see one ..

keep on guessing ... it fun ... sometimes you.. me.. miss the ID .... so what ...

ken

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

No apologies necessary here - & FWIW, it's not the size of the leaves that appears so different from magnolia - it's the shape & texture:

Magnolia

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I've missed several ID's. That's how I learn. It's more fun than going to school ever was. I see your point, Carol. I knew the answer right away because I had one and I used to sell plants.

• tolumniamatt
    9 years ago

No part of Los Angeles is in USDA zone 7. I'm not familiar enough with the Sunset magazine climate zones (1-24) to know what zone 7 is if that is what she's using.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths