Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identifying a Squash Plant

Posted by drderty 8ter (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 08 at 19:53

My girlfriend's grandmother gave us some squash seeds to plant. She speaks Navajo so I could not understand anything she said about the seeds.

We planted two seeds along with watermelon and corn plants. The squash plant quickly grew huge and over ran the garden.

The plant is currently growing two types of squash on it. I am unable to identify what type of squash it is. I've supplied pictures of both types of squash that the plant is growing and a picture of its leaves.

Also, we've never grown squash before and are wondering how to tell when it is ripe to pick.

Thanks.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identifying a Squash Plant

You might get more responses if you post this in the veggie forum... http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/cornucop/

o

I'm not the biggest squash variety expert but I can say that they both appear to be winter squash varieties. The blue-gray one looks like a 'Blue Hubbard' and the orange may be a kuri or another hubbard type.

I harvest winter squash when the vines/stem on the fruit have dried. Winter squash tastes the best and sweetest when they "aged" a bit. I'd probably let them sit for a month after harvesting for best flavor. There's a reason they are called winter squash!

Since these appear to old varieties of squash, save the seeds you scoop out to plant next year. Old, heirloom varieties, as I suspect these are, grow and produce much like their parent plants. Seed saving is not only fun, it can be a link to family traditions and history.

FataMorgana

o

Thanks, I'll go post over there.

Fata, I think you're right about it being Blue Hubbard squash. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here