Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ONE native I don't recognize

Posted by davidrt28 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 20:06

These are both from the semi-swampy area of my garden that I haven't been able to mow this summer because it's been so wet.

The one on the left is a low running forb about 3' wide and 1' tall with floppy stems, but the flowers are held up and quite showy. Maybe something in the Onagraceae? It's on a section of higher ground so I don't think it's really a wetlands plant at all.

The grass seed head on the right is from a grass about 3' tall, 4' including the heads, with pretty non-descript light green leaves with a "zip" along the back side, like what's on the side of a pampus grass leaf. From a distance I thought they were the seed heads of a Scirpus...wait...update. It is one. They just don't resemble the other Scirpus I'm more familiar with. The leaves of it are more grass like that any Cyperaceae I've seen.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 21:45

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ONE native I don't recognize

The pink flower is some type of Rhexia.

o

Rhexia virginica or Meadow Beauty. Every time I have ever seen a Rhexia it has been near a wet area or where you would expect to see water, ditch, swale. etc.

o

The other one could be a sedge (carex).

o

Thanks! What a great forum!
ESH, that is a member of the sedge family, but not a carex. It is probably a Scirpus cyperinus.

o

I might try to cultivate the Rhexia as long as it doesn't get too weedy. It's definitely one of the showier wildflowers around here.
I can see that it's a distant relative of Tibouchina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melastomataceae

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melastomataceae

o

Thanks for the update - good to know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here