Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trclac

Anyone know what this is?

trclac
9 years ago

I saw this plant in the tunnels in Houston, and the only thing I can determine is that it's real. Beyond that, I have never seen a plant bloom like this without sunlight (obviously, there is no sunlight in the tunnels).

Anyone have any idea? I'd appreciate knowing what it is, as we would like to get a couple for inside decoration.

Many thanks!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• trclac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure the pic uploaded. Let me try again.

• lisanti07028
    9 years ago

No picture showing for me.

• trclac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry about that. The pic didn't upload the first time for some reason.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I wonder if it's just there temporarily for display ?

• trclac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't know. They do change the plants out in the tunnels quite often. But for this plant, I asked a security guard who was standing next to them if he knew what it was. He said no, but when the landscapers were putting them in, they did say these plants cannot handle sunshine. He said he asked them what the name of the plant is, but he couldn't remember. So that indicates that these are meant for indoors or heavy shade.

• calliope
    9 years ago

Sure looks like a pink florist gardenia.

• eaga
    9 years ago

It looks like a florist azalea. Up here they are sold as indoor plants. I don't know which variety/ cultivar it is.

• Mod317 (Zone 5a - SW Ontario)
    9 years ago

I can't really see it very clearly but it almost looks like a double azalea of some sort. (?)

• trclac
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. The person who mows our yard and does landscaping also thinks it is some sort of azalea.