Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
w1ldflower

Cultivated plant with palmate leaves, white margins

w1ldflower
9 years ago

I posted this before but wasn't able to get a positive ID. This was growing in a local public garden in fairly dry soil in partial to dappled shade. No sign of flowering or seed production that was obvious. There were a couple of very thin brown shriveled stems emerging near the leaves but I couldn't for certain say they belonged to this plant and not another. Leaves measured ~3-4 inches in diameter with either five or seven leaflets. Leaf margins are white and irregularly toothed. Thanks for any leads!

Comments (14)

• Desirai
    9 years ago

my immediate thought was it looks similar to helleborus, but I'm not an expert on plants I haven't grown.

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

I would agree and say helleborus. The leaves vary greatly in color, size, and some have patterns of different colors. A great plant that blooms late winter through to late spring/early summer. Evergreen and likes shade/light sun.

• thedecoguy
    9 years ago

Potentilla sp

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Doesn't look like Potentilla to me.

• earline_pa zone 6 Pa.
    9 years ago

I knew I saw this before.

EDIT....Closer look I think I'm wrong :(

Here is a link that might be useful: white edges

This post was edited by earline_pa on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 9:59

• w1ldflower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all! Thanks for your suggestions. Fairly certain it is not a hellebore, unless it is a species I am unfamiliar with (these include helleborus orientale, h. niger and H. foetidus). The leaves are considerably smaller as is the overall height (only about 6 inches for this plant). Hellebore is also evergreen in our area and I believe this died back in the fall. Lastly, I have never seen a hellebore with white margins and as there were no apparent seed pods... hellebore pods remain on the plant and are simply too large to miss.... I think I can pretty much eliminate that one from the possibilities.

As for it being some type of cinquefoil, I am also not convinced. Though the leaf and plant size is closer (than to the hellebore), each of the leaves on this plant seemed to emerge on it's own stem. Leaves were also smoother than potentilla and less reminiscent of a strawberry and were not noticeably pubescent.

Could I have possibly finally stumped this group? :) I'm attaching a closer look at the leaf to see if we can change that.

• suemcwirraluk
    9 years ago

I found Alchemilla conjuncta while googling "silver edged leaves". Is it a possibility?

• garystpaul
    9 years ago

How about a kind of galium?

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Variegated Pachysandra?

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

Looks like the alchemilla I have in my garden. Maybe alpina? I've had very few flowers on mine. Has stayed quite small over a number of years.

• garystpaul
    9 years ago

I think suemc probably nailed it: alchemilla conjuncta. Cool-looking plant!

Gary

• aswhad
    9 years ago

Alchemilla alpina is also very close to....conjuncta.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.plant-identification.co.uk/skye/rosaceae/alchemilla-alpina.htm

• Desirai
    9 years ago

Well that's cool! I've never heard of/seen that plant before.

• w1ldflower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I see you all like a challenge! Thanks very much for everyone's input. Now that you got me on the right track/genus, I was able to determine that it does appear to be Alchemilla alpina. For the record, this is the shorter of the two in stature (just 6-8") vs. A. conjuncta who grows to 12-18" and has 7 leaves without the sharp teeth that appear on A. alpina. Another close relative is A. sericea, but that one has the presence of small hairs on the surface and this one did not.

Best of all, I was able to locate an online resource for seeds so I won't have to wait another year to see if I can catch some before they scatter! Very excited! Thanks a bunch!!