Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name the ferns, ....pls :)

Posted by clusty (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 21:29

Hello,

Reposting, as I did not get a response on the fern forum. Better luck here maybe:

I got 2 new big box store ferns and as usual, they are labeled as "assorted ferns".

Any idea how they might be called ?
One is green with a silvery layer, and second looks like a regular fern and has some red-ish leafs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name the ferns, ....pls :)

Maybe a picture would help with ID.

o

We can't see your picture.

o

Ohh shoot

o

Bumping this up.

o

The one on the left looks like Phlebodium pseudoaureum. common name hardy blue fern.

This post was edited by Cercis141 on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 11:30

o

The one on the right looks like a polystichum, maybe tsus-simense, Korean rock fern. I remember that they are a little messy when the spores ripened. What do the undersides of the leaves looks like? I'm not a fern expert, so I certainly could be off on this one.

o

Thanks a bunch guys.
You are rock stars :)

o

Cercis141,

The undersides have no particularity. No spores present or anything, but then again the plant is fairly small

o

I found a reference that describes p. tsus-simensis upclose and personal if you want to investigate further. I know it's commonly sold as an indoor plant, very easy to grow because it tolerates low temps and a drier atmosphere than some other ferns grown indoors. I had purchased it for a cold, north facing window for a client. It did great but the client didn't care for it because the spores dropped on her windowsill :/

Here is a link that might be useful: p. tsus-simensis

o

The one on the right side is Pteris tricolor.

Rgds

o

Pteris tricolor seems more like it :)

o

Yes it does! Glad you got the right answer (and I learned a new plant).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here