Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade Native?

Posted by thyme2dig NH 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 21:37

I don't remember purchasing/planting this. I have a few in a very dry, shady bed. Each is growing as a single stem from the ground with 2 leaves. From what I recall in spring the flower was a fuzzy small pom-pom about the size of this bunch of berries. I did some searching but kept coming up with Bunchberry but the leaves and flower don't seem to match. The leaves are quite fuzzy. The bigger leaf in these pictures is 7 1/2" x 5 1/2",
Any help with ID is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

<

Sorry this one with the berries close up is blurry. My camera would not cooperate.
<

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade Native?

Goldenseal.

o

Take good care of it. It's become quite rare in many places from over collecting.

o

Thanks for the information. It actually says "absent" in NH, even though it is said to be found/endangered in a couple adjoining states. I really don't remember buying it, so I'm very thankful to a bird that might have bestowed this gift on me! I have a little colony in the bed so I'm very pleased to find out what it is, and do hope it expands.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here