Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pokeweed?

Posted by katisu 5 Indy (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 21:41

This looks a little like the pokeweed you guys identified for me a while back. The stem looks very different, though. The other pokeweed was really viney and the fruit(?) seemed to sprout right out from the middle of the vine. This one appears to be sprouting in a "normal" place. And doesn't seem viney.

Part sun, Zone 5, Indianapolis

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pokeweed?

Yes, that is pokeweed.

o

"The other pokeweed was really viney and the fruit(?) seemed to sprout right out from the middle of the vine."

Katisu, Pokeweed isn't a vine so you apparently received a wrong ID on the other plant. The image shown in your current post is a Phytolacca americana, 'Pokeweed'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pokeweed

o

Pokeweed can and will branch. A large pokeweed can have smaller flowering branches "inside" as well as on the "outside."

Sometimes there is more than one "trunk" coming up from the ground (could be the root was pulled but not complete removed in a prior year, or multiple seeds sprouting close together, or whatever).

A few times (often late in the year) people have posted miniature pokeweed plants. I remember one that couldn't have been more than 6" tall; there were several large leaves and a tiny cluster of flowers: and that was all! (And it was undeniably cute ... in a baby monster sort of way.)

If a pokeweed isn't growing straight (for whatever reason: the base of the plant was stepped on at some point, or maybe it was stretching laterally because of a severe lack of sunlight, or maybe it was crowded by the neighboring plants) it could indeed appear "viney" compared with other which have a majorly vigorous and downright menacing appearance (Godzilla rather than the cute baby monster).

o

Missingtheobvious-- I think that what you have described is exactly why the other looked so different. It was in a very shaded part of the yard, filled with lots of plants, and was growing sideways instead of upward. Was definitely not taller than 6", but went a couple feet over. I've attached a photo of the other one that has since been removed.

Thank you all! I think I may have a few more baby monsters uncovered after weeding a bit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here