Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moss?

Posted by jekeesl Central AR 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 21:56

These were in dense mounds, about 4-6 inches high by 8-12 inches across. The branches were comprised of ovate leaves, rising along the stem. The branches were 1-2 mm across.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moss?

Yup. Climacium dendroides or C. americanum.

o

That looks very similar, but those tree mosses are reported in the far, northestern part of the US only, per USDA. These were mounded on the ground in Arkansas.

o

USDA data for mosses is severely lacking. C. americanum definitely occurs in AR.

Here is a link that might be useful: Specimen data for Climacium americanum

o

Very cool. I've been using MOBOT, but did not know you could search the specimens list in that way. Are there any keys online for the mosses, or good descriptions of the way families are divided, etc.?

o

Not that I know of. The Bryophyte Flora of North America is a work in progress and most treatments are not yet available online. The definitive work for the northeast seems to be Mosses of Eastern North America by Crum & Anderson.

o

I checked the prices - oh my. If anybody has the 2-volume set collecting dust, and wants to donate it, let me know.

Thanks for that ID lycopus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here