Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
name the trunk

Posted by kcmok none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 22:02

Hi.

I am new to this forum and also new to plants.

Just got some beauties,search the net for many days and finally got the correct name .

Green Island Fiicus.

but I see that the trunk is not original.possibly grafted onto it.

so I need help on the care and maintenance and also how to get more 'babies' from them. lol...

thanks !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: name the trunk

Can you go back to the source of the plant and find out what nursery produced them? You are in Thailand, I see.

o

they can't explain to me. i'm not a thai, so can't talk ...lol..

o

I don't know this plant but I Googled and found Ficus rotundifolia 'Green ISland'. I can't tell you what plant has provided the trunk for your standard tree but basic care for any grafted plant would be to remove any shoots coming from anywhere on the trunk except the top.

As to propagation, most Ficus are easy to increase by cuttings (Google for instructions) but be aware that any offspring will follow the low spreading form of Ficus rotundifolia and will not be standards.

The trunks actually look very artificial. If you examine the greenery at the top is it really growing from the trunk or has it just been attached in some way such as a moss ball or something? And are the trunks really growing in that mix? They look hammered in ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus rotundifolia 'Green Island

o

thks for the link.

attached are 2 pics. they're not hammered in. it's growing there.

o

here's the second plant...

guess they used another trunk and attached it there and let it grow.

what do you call it ?
layer ?

thks.

o

OK, so they are grafted onto a separate trunk. Maybe another Ficus species.

o

here's the second plant...

guess they used another trunk and attached it there and let it grow.

what do you call it ?
layer ?

thks.

o

No, not a layer. It's a graft as you surmised in your original message.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here