Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathyj_gw

Large tree, currently in bloom

CathyJ
9 years ago

From afar, I thought this was a Dogwood simply blooming out of season; however, after having seen the foliage, I now have my doubts. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (9)

• thedecoguy
    9 years ago

Cornus sp.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Can we see the foliage?

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Sure does look like one.

• CathyJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, this is about as good as it gets as far as detail of the foliage goes. If this is indeed a species of Cornus, any idea which one? I've never seen Cornus with such thick, glossy foliage before. What's also throwing me is the number of petals: In looking on-line I now see that our native Dogwood, Cornus nuttalli, is pictured with as many as 6 petals. However, I don't know that I have ever seen one in this vicinity with more than four; ditto Cornus florida. Is C. nuttalli that highly variable?

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I think you got it (nutalli).
    I've never seen a dogwood bloom out of season, but apparently it does (looked up).

• CathyJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are two of these trees within maybe 3 miles of each other, one growing alongside the freeway and the other in a yard (the one pictured). That was my first inclination, also: C. nuttalli, blooming out of season; however, these two are so different from the rest of the natives that once I got a closer look at them, it made me reconsider. Very dark green, glossy foliage and loaded with blooms, while the usual nuttalli are actually rather anemic-looking, even in full sun. Of course, those in the full sun do have more blooms than those in the more densely-wooded areas, but I've never seen one with this many flowers. I'll see if I can get some additional pictures of both and post them, because now I'm really curious as to exactly how these specimens do differ. Thank you!

• CathyJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are two of these trees within maybe 3 miles of each other, one growing alongside the freeway and the other in a yard (the one pictured). That was my first inclination, also: C. nuttalli, blooming out of season; however, these two are so different from the rest of the natives that once I got a closer look at them, it made me reconsider. Very dark green, glossy foliage and loaded with blooms, while the usual nuttalli are actually rather anemic-looking, even in full sun. Of course, those in the full sun do have more blooms than those in the more densely-wooded areas, but I've never seen one with this many flowers. I'll see if I can get some additional pictures of both and post them, because now I'm really curious as to exactly how these specimens do differ. Thank you!

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Certainly the opposite leaf arrangement helps to indicate that it could be a dogwood. Very pretty.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Dogwood often bloom twice in the PNW, once earlier in the spring and then in late summer.