Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beach, Birch, or Elm?

Posted by edlincoln 6A (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 22:51

My parents own a small forested lot adjacent to ther summer house. I thought I'd trans;ant some of the saplings growing there. Is this an American Beach, a Birch, and Elm, or something else? Is it worth transplanting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beach, Birch, or Elm?

The leaves in the foreground are of beech. There is a birch on the left.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 9:44

I would suggest you'll find extreme difficulty if you think you're going to successfully transplant either at that size. Or maybe unless you have power equipment...

o

Thanks!

No, I'm not going to transplant those particular specimens. There are a bunch of similar trees in the area. I figured the bigger ones would provide more information to identify them.

This is one of the specimens I'm debating digging up. A little over a foot tall.

o

Even now you should be able to see the beginnings of the leaf buds for next year (tucked in by the stem, next to the leaf) and once you recognize those, you can pick out the babies too.

o

Do the buds next to the leaf base mean it is a birch, a beach, or an elm? I'm trying to find beach.

o

All trees will have buds for next year's leaves; usually at the base of this year's leaves. If you are into it you can identify woody plants in winter by just the buds. What esh is talking about, though, is that beech trees have big long needle shaped buds that are unlike anything else around - you should be able to easily identify beech seedlings by looking at the buds. There are a couple buds about half out of your picture in the lower left.

Elm and birch buds are pretty generic, they're a lot harder to tell apart.

WW

Here is a link that might be useful: Beech buds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here