Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uninteresting fern

Posted by quaker495 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 23:05

Does anyone know what this fern is? We knocked away a large dead hedge and these ferns started sprouting in the area that had been shaded. The stems are in a clump and the leaves, so far, don't do much of anything. However, I am inclined to give anything a chance that thrives in poor soil during a drought in Southern California. I'm hoping it will do something more interesting as time goes by.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uninteresting fern

I'm reasonably certain that's not a fern.

Could you show us a close-up of the flowers?

o

Looks like one of the Aparagus 'ferns'. ie Asparagus species and not true ferns. I'm not that familiar with them and this one is not fully leafed out but compare with Asparagus densiflorus.

o

It could be asparagus, but I don't think so...I lean toward aster or other composite (desert adapted types with needle leaves)

o

If it has or develops thorns on the stems, compare to A. sprengeri. That has bulbous moisture storage roots, impossible to pull up, must be dug.

o

Thank you for helping me to sort this out! I don't have any flowers to show you, but here is a closeup of a frond or stem.

o

And one more view of the same frond.

o

No sign of thorns yet. It is still changing a lot day to day. I may have to wait until it gets a little further along before it starts matching up to pictures of your suggestions. Thanks again all!

o

Wait, I take that back: thorns are developing; they are downward pointing from the junctions of the branches. They are still soft so I hadn't noticed them yet.

o

What I thought might be flowers seem to be dark tips of new growth.

o

If you look at the bottom left you can see some new shoots which are unmistakably Aparagus spears right down to the scales at the base. The ends of the shoots are also very characteristic. There's no doubt in my mind that it is an Asparagus species.

o

No doubt in my mind, either.

o

Thanks again everyone. I'll watch for the white flowers and red berries that will make my "uninteresting fern" a bit more interesting.... and I won't let the dog eat the poisonous berries. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here