Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerriedee

ID this vine please

jerriedee
15 years ago

I live in North Carolina and I found this lovely vine growing up through a tree at the water's edge. I noticed some seed pods hanging from it and would like to collect some and get it growing closer to the house, if it will grow in drier soil.Thanks for your help in advance !

{{gwi:327102}}

Comments (6)

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

Kudzu.

Before you sow any seeds, do a Google search.

Or simply wait a few days -- I'm sure several posters will give you the skinny on the world's fastest growing weed.

Joe

• philmont_709n2
    15 years ago

it looks like Groundnut (Apios americana) to me. Which is a wonderful plant with edible tubers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Groundnut

• simnia
    15 years ago

Doesn't look like kudzu at all to me. I used to live in the South and see kudzu all the time.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I think that philmont is correct with groundnut. Someone recently posted a pic of the same plant for ID and that's what it was.
    Karyn

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

Ok. My eyes were bad yesterday morning. Or was it night?

Not kudzu.

Joe

• jerriedee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, Yes...! That's it, Groundnut (Apios americana),that's the leaf and bloom for sure. The pic I had, you could tell it had been blooming for awhile, so it wasn't quite as pretty as when it first starts to bloom it seems. Now I need to read up on it and see if it will grow with less water ! Thanks so very much !