Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some help naming this plant/tree please

Posted by Nixon88 British Columbia CAN (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 23:58

I could use your help naming what this plant/tree? I found tons of them up in a clear cut forest area about to be developed, like how they look and wouldn't mind transplanting one. Also threw in a couple interesting bug photos, bug was found on the mysterious plant seems to be eating it. Deer also seem to be eating it. Sorry in advance if this is a no brainer or been posted before, my green thumb mom is on vacation! She gets the brunt of my plant questions.

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some help naming this plant/tree please

More pictures

o

Interesting Bug or cocoon...

o

and a really cool looking caterpillar looks like.

o

Elm (Ulmus)?

o

The caterpillar is probably some sort of tussock moth larva. Maybe the sycamore tussock moth, maybe the banded tussock moth, maybe something else. In any case, probably with extreme coloration for its type.

The various tussock moths do vary quite a bit in coloration and hairiness.

In GW, you can also try the Butterfly forum (part of the Nature Forums):
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/butterfly/

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 2:10

Red Alder.

That stand of seedlings? Consider whether you want to commit to pulling those from your gardens yearly, I easily yank a couple of hundred a year and there are no alder on my property, only nearby.

o

Awesome thanks for the info, googled and that's it! and I don't think I will be bringing it to my yard any time soon lol thanks

o

The 'cocoon' is/was a pupating ladybug, I believe - it looks empty to me...

o

(responding to a request from another thread)
The caterpillar has some features of the tussock or tiger moths, but I don't know which one. Tussock cats tend to have groupings of orderly bristles rather than the mostly random bristles in the above image.

o

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here