Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alolo_gw

What is the name of this leaf? (picture included)

Alolo
9 years ago

What is the species name and the family name.

Comments (9)

• Alolo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Correction name of the plant of these leaf.

• biorat
    9 years ago

what type of plant? annual, perennial, vine, shrub, tree
    ornamental landscape plant, native, many or just one plant
    region where it was found, house plant?

• Alolo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's already detach when I found it. So, I wasn't sure the origin of it. Nevertheless, I need it for my school research and hope someone can give me a clue where can I start or at lease a close match. Here's a photo from below it.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

OP (Alolo, that abbreviation means "original poster", so it's you): please measure the leaf and tell us the size.

All: the OP is in Malaysia.

I'm not sure what the correct term is for a leaf whose petiole attaches in the middle of the leaf rather than at an edge. Is this peltate -- or is that term reserved for circular(ish) leaves? If not peltate, what is the correct term?

Unless someone recognizes the leaf, the best chance may be to Google appropriate terms (Malaysia, peltate?, etc.).

General rant: I abominate assignments of this type, where the student can't find the answer unless he/she already knows it. So unfair!

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 21:28

• carol23_gw
    9 years ago

Perhaps a Macaranga

Here is a link that might be useful: Macaranga tanarius

• Alolo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@missingtheobvious
    I could not agree more. It's even harder when we don't even know how to actually identify and label the plant base on the nomenclature. Anyway, thanks for the lead, I'm getting closer but I think we still could narrow the search area down somehow.

@biorat I apologize because that other than the leaf, I have no idea what is the actual plant look like.

Perhaps it's much easier to just track down the guy who found it. In spite of that, I still need to find a way to distinguish part of a plant down to the species. So, any more characteristic I should pay attention to?

• offplumb
    9 years ago

"...Is this peltate -- or is that term reserved for circular(ish) leaves? If not peltate, what is the correct term?"...
    good question -
    according to "Plant Identification Terminology" Harris

peltate-shield shaped; borne on a stalk attached to the lower surface rather than to the base or margin.

the illustration in said book does have a circular leaf, but i think the 2nd part of the definition clarifies things.

however, since i usually would describe this as
    the stem thing attached to the center of the leaf thingie,
    you may want to wait for verification from one who knows for sure ; )

• eaga
    9 years ago

carol23's response looks spot on

A peltate leaf has the petiole attached inside the margin. The blade doesn't have to be round for the leaf to be described as peltate.

• Alolo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@carol23 Nice! Cercis141 was right, you nail it on the spot. From shape to vein. Thanks!

@bubbleoffplumb This could help my further study regarding plant taxonomy, thanks for the reference