Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what plants are these?

Posted by srp123au none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 5:58

Hi,
Is the one on the left aloe vera? Any ideas about the other plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what plants are these?

A Hydrangea perhaps?

o

On left looks like some sort of aloe, but not 'vera'

o

Might be A. striatula.

o

Yes, one on right is a rather poorly pruned hydrangea.

Cannot imagine those two plants cohabiting the same planting area very happily..........

o

Thanks for your comments much appreciated.
Gardengal48 I'm new to gardening any tips? The two were a big mass entwined together so I pruned until they looked separate.
Thanks.

o

Any tips.....? Yes. There isn't room there for both those plants. And as gardengal48 says they require different conditions. The 'HYDR' bit of the name is the clue. My preference would be to remove the aloe. Any piece stuck in the ground where there is good drainage should root. The Hydrangea will never be a good shape crammed up against something else like that.

I would now leave it alone until next year to give the left hand side a chance to recover. Then look up the correct pruning for it.

On the other hand the Hydrangea is also up against a wall.. Could that go? It seems half broken down already. If not it may be better to move the Hydrangea after all.

o

Looks to me like the aloe is happy in that spot, and the hydrangea not so much. So I'd take cuttings of the hydrangea, and plant them in some open shade. Once you have some rooted cuttings, you can remove the mother plant.

o

ok this a rental so id have to ask about it. Thanks for your suggestions- much appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here