Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some Help

Posted by FieldofDreams26 FL (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 8:01

I saw this plant while traveling in Georgia and fell in love with it. Can anyone help me out in sharing what it's called so I can look it up when I get home?

Thank you!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some Help

Is it a house plant in Georgia or a garden plant?

o

Maybe some type of Maranta or Ctenanthe?

Here is a link that might be useful: an example of Maranta

o

I found many photos of it as Calathea lancifolia -- mostly Wikipedia, foreign/non-English sites of one sort or another, dubious sites, and poor photos: really nothing I wanted to link to -- leading me to believe it probably doesn't use that name in the U.S.

Someone foreign had it as Calathea lancifolia insignis.

Someone had it as rattle snake Calathea.

The forum which may not be linked to or named calls it Rattlesnake plant, Calathea insignis. Using that name I could find more, but mostly photo sites, etc.

Finally I found an English-language vendor with a decent photo and page, but they're on GW's spam list, so no go....

o

Logees has it on their site. They don't trade in the UK so I don't know if they're reputable but I've seen people refer to them on GW.

Here is a link that might be useful: How about this one?

o

I've bought from Logee's a few times, and would recommend them.

I didn't see their photo, but the search engines show larger photos first. And not many of the American sites I saw use the Calathea lancifolia name.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 14:18

When I Bing Calathea insignis I get plenty including these pictures. Whether it was correctly C. insignis, C. lancifolia or C. insignis lancifolia would be decided for oneself by reading taxonomic accounts or sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bing Images

o

And many of those are small photos, or from photohosting sites or blogs (i.e. to a librarian, not authoritative sources) or foreign sites where the text will probably turn out not to be in English....

I was trying to find an authoritative source with a good-sized, clear photo and some helpful English-language text for the OP.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here