Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mona_babyc

Need help identifying plant

mona.babyc
9 years ago

The plant in attached picture is growing wild in my backyard. I need help identifying it.

Comments (7)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Pokeweed

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Yes, pokeweed.

Birds love the berries. Each berry contains 8-10 seeds, and they will all sprout. If you want to be rid of it, you must remove or kill the entire root (try boiling water or Roundup concentrate on a freshly-cut root).

Most parts of the plant are poisonous, so if there are kids around, warn them not to eat the berries. (Around here, the leaves are a traditional cooked green, but only when the plant is quite young, and they must be carefully prepared so as not to be dangerous.)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Birds do so love the berries...but will plant them in your yard, your neighbors yard, and on every car they see *(dunno why)*

• mona.babyc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info

• annedickinson
    9 years ago

Some people are sensitive to the juice of the plant; can get burns from it. I wear gloves to be on the safe side when pulling it up. I hate to use poisons, but may resort to roundup for this. It has become very invasive in the past 2 years.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

it has a horseradish sized deep root ... and unless you round up the cut stalk ... or dig it ALL out... it will be back ...

if you let it go to seed... you will have a couple hundred or million more next year...

a horrible weed.. IMHO ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Love the photo of the commercially-canned "poke sallet greens" (scroll down at ken's link). And organic, yet!