Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westminstress

Native shrub

westminstress
9 years ago

Hi. I saw this shrub flowering last week adjacent to a coastal marsh at Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx. It was abuzz with pollinators. Can anyone help identify it? Thanks.

Comments (15)

• westminstress
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a second photo:

• carol23_gw
    9 years ago

It's a monster, not native, and a huge invasive plant displacing many native plants in various areas of the world.
    Japanese knotweed is the common name. It is a major problem and is showing up along roadsides.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Such a depressing photo! I see more and more of it here.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

It's sad to think that people infer that what they see in wild places must be native while they are in fact invasive exotic plants.

No disrespect to you westminstress, how were you to know?

It's just a comment on how well invasive plants can infiltrate the natural environment, outcompeting native plants that use to grow there and support not just pollinators but butterflies and moths that need leaves to eat as well. This plant may support pollinators but nothing else.

We have it now in Georgia too and it spreads quickly where introduced.

• thedecoguy
    9 years ago

Fallopia baldschuanica

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Thankfully, I've never seen this in Arkansas or Oklahoma, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
    9 years ago

The one most common in the States is probably Reynoutria japonica (Japanese Knotweed). That used to be listed as Fallopia japonica, and also as Polygonum cuspidatum. I find it somewhat distressing when the scientific names change so often :). In any case, we do have it in Arkansas, and it is also listed for Oklahoma (see BONAP maps from link). We can also see R. sachalinensis and R. x bohemica here. All three are non-native, very invasive species. I've included a photo of plants from the Hot Springs, AR area.

Here is a link that might be useful: BONAP Reynoutria Maps

• westminstress
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ugh, I should have known. That's unfortunate. Thanks for identifying.

esh_ga, I have to say I find the tone and premise of your response objectionable. Unfortunately I was writing quickly and mistakenly used the term "native" in the subject line, but I don't think it's fair for you to then assume that I'm representative of a category of person in the world that you find "sad". I'm well aware that naturalized plants may be non-native and am able to identify many such plants though I'm not yet familiar with Japanese Knotweed. Your comment "how were you to know" is quite presumptuous and demeaning. I think your cause would be better served by focusing more on the botanical and environmental issues and not your mistaken impressions of the people who post.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Oh dear, I'm sorry to have offended you.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

How can you find tone in a forum post?
    Anyway, she did make a point of saying "no disrespect to you" and "How were you to know?" I think it was the presence of the plant in the wild she found depressing.

• westminstress
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One can find tone in a forum post the same way one does in any other piece of writing (choice of words, viewpoint of author, etc.). If the poster found the presence of the plant depressing, she should have just said that. Instead she provided her impression of âÂÂpeopleâ (including myself) she clearly deems less well-informed than her. That combined with the "how would you know" comment came off to me as smug and condescending, notwithstanding the apparent attempt not to be disrespectful.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

No, you misread it, totally.

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
    9 years ago

Wow, sounds like a person searching for reasons to be insulted. Chill out. Esh is a knowledgeable friend to the folks on this site.

• calliope
    9 years ago

I thought Esh's comments were pretty succinct and he/she went out of their way to point out that the statement was intended to convey the vicious habit of how well these alien plants seem to fit into their new habitats and displace natives and yet be so beautiful and not necessarily directed at you personally. You bet that most people when seeing them en masse along waterways and in natural wild settings assume their native. I first noticed them along one of our rivers........ACRES of them in full bloom and they were drop dead spectacular. I had to look them up to identify them (and I am in the business) and my jaw dropped when I found out it was alien knotweed and I'm not too proud to admit I didn't know what it was or it was not native. In fact it can still be purchased in its variegated form in some local garden centers and the staff will swear they're not invasive.

They're in bloom again now and I spotted another wild area polluted with them and you know the first thing I felt? SAD

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

One can find tone in a forum post the same way one does in any other piece of writing (choice of words, viewpoint of author, etc.).

You did use the word 'native'. That was a choice of words. Sorry. Please grant esh_ga the same grace that you are demanding.