Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbyboop

Red 5 petal flowers, soft stem?

Bobbyboop
9 years ago

Could y'all identify this houseplant? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• thedecoguy
    9 years ago

New Guinea Impatiens

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

its not really a houseplant ... and might be very hard to do so with it.. due to its high demands for humidity ...

which is very hard to control .. if you have a forced air furnace.. and live in snow country ...

it will probably also get rather leggy.. but can probably be rooted.. once that happens ...

head ye self to the houseplant forum.. to see what they say ... maybe i am wrong ...

ken

• calliope
    9 years ago

They've been grown for years as house plants. I started them in winter in greenhouses, it's the typical time. They can get persnickety about light levels and proper watering.

9 years ago

one might suggest ... that if they didnt know the plant.. the odds are.. they dont have a greenhouse ...

my point for a newb.. is that .. regardless of whether they are sold as such ... they are sold as rather disposable plants ... the point being.. dont get too emotionally attached to them ..

research.. learn.. try them.. and when they get problems.. or get ugly.. have no qualms about just getting rid of them.. or try to rejuvenate them thru propagation ...

and whatever happens.. enjoy the heck out of it.. while you can ... there is something rather sublime.. on the flower color of some of these plants ... i lack words.. to fully describe it .... and if i am not wrong.. they sparkle in the right light ....

ken

• calliope
    9 years ago

Didn't expect that she did have a greenhouse, Ken. Winter growing in my latitude doesn't provide the optimal conditions that many annuals need but New Guineas tolerate it well, and that means even though most people think of them as bedding plants only, they can be pretty successful grown as houseplants, certainly easier than the garden variety-busy Lizzie. You direct her to the houseplant forum saying you might be wrong, but have an issue when I comment on them, even though I've grown thousands of them over several decades? ;-) You are correct in saying not to get too attached to it, because they're not expensive, and to keep them beautiful inside requires a learning curve. I'd say worth a try. You don't need high humidity, just don't put them in a furnace draft where they'll get heater scrub. They'll protest if they're underwatered, and they'll protest if they're overwatered, and if the light level isn't high enough, you won't get bloom. But no more difficult than some other persnickety houseplants.

This post was edited by calliope on Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 2:33

9 years ago

i was just trying to point out.. they arent the easiest to grow indoors.. all winter long ... without experience ... and if they fail.. its because they tried a hard one.. i never want anyone to give up on gardening.. because they fail ...

if in my enthusiasm .... i failed to communicate.. and i upset you.. i apologize ...

ken

ps: sometimes one might speculate on my ability to communicate ... lol..

• calliope
    9 years ago

I enjoy your posts, Ken.........and not upset at all, and I certainly appreciate your take on trying hard plants, failing and giving up on gardening. It happens too often and you are right.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

In a climate like mine they are almost always grown as houseplants since even in summer it's too cool, dark and wet for them. But, as Ken says, not the easiest for a beginner.

Since the mildew disaster, new strains are being developed which can cope with our summers outdoors. "New Guinea impatiens have long been grown as indoor plants, and with their attractive foliage and large, bold and bright flowers have been much appreciated as pot plants. Developed from I. hawkeri, which grows wild in Papua New Guinea, recent developments have adapted them to being grown outside in summer containers and even in sunny summer borders."

http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/blogs/graham_rice/

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!