Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name that Viburnum

Posted by marbles_n_the_garden DownEast Maine, Zone (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 9:37

We have harvested seed from a beautiful Viburnum. While looking it up, I could not decide which type it was. Sever look like this. Please help.

I do not know how to put the pictures here, so I am leaving a link to my photo bucket. There are 4 photos of this viburnum. I have less than 20 pictures, so there will be no confusion.

Thanks!

http://s619.photobucket.com/user/Robin282/library/?sort=3&page=1

Here is a link that might be useful: Viburnum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name that Viburnum

By the way, I realized the photos look like the leaves are spear-shaped. Those are actually leaves from a nearby plant. The leaves on this are more maple-tree-like. I will try to get a better leaf photo if there are any left on the tree.

o

Viburnum opulus ?

o

At first I thought it was V. opulus, but after reviewing lots more pitures yesterday, I thought, maybe not. The leaves weren't as deeply serrated as they appear in opulus. Then I thought triloba...then edule. Still not sure.

o

Are you sure its a viburnum? leaves don't come close and the way the berries hang off the branches don't look like a viburnum also......Looks more and more like choke cherry!

o

I thought it looked like choke cherry as well.

o

I don't see any evidence of opposite branching which all Viburnums have. So even if the leaves visible (which do look like cherries) aren't for the plant you want ID'd, the branches and fruit also look more like cherries than Viburnums.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 22:09

Yes, clearly a Sec. Padus Prunus species such as the widespread and common P. virginiana. Has the twigs and leaves of a Prunus like that one, and viburnums never produce fruits or flowers in "spikes".

o

OK, today, I'll take my kids out so they can hold the numerous chokecherries surrounding this plant out of the way. I am sure it is a viburnum, I just don't know which.

o

• Posted by deejaus Temperate Aust. (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 17:46

This is a useful site for Viburnum photos and information. You can click on the thumbnails for a larger photo and more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viburnum list

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 21:36

Viburnums produce branching heads of flowers and fruits, not spike-like ones with all the fruits having undivided stalks of mostly the same length arranged up and down a central axis. Most viburnum heads are flattened or somewhat dome-shaped, occasionally pointed. All of the fruit dominating each of your pictures is that of a cherry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here