Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pretty Groundcover with Red Berries ???

Posted by marbles_n_the_garden DownEast Maine, Zone (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 10:03

I found this very pretty groundcover with red berries (almost like insulation inside: dry and the same texture--without the glass) growing in a sandy/gravelly area on the edge of a seldom used road. I cannot imagine the berries are edible with the texure they have (completely lack juice), but it is such a pretty groundcover that I'd like to know what it is. I may collect seed and grow it. It is NOT lingonberry, I know that plant; the leaves are rounder, etc. It has a somewhat similar appearance otherwise. Can anyone help? I have less that 20 pictures at photo bucket and I titled this one The Plant. not sure how to load pictures here. Sorry.

http://s619.photobucket.com/user/Robin282/media/Plant001.jpg.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pretty Groundcover with Red Berries ???

It looks like Gaultheria procumbens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gaultheria

o

use the HTML code ... and the pix will show on preview.. and if you see it.. we will see it

ken

o

Leaves too small for Gaultheria - looks more like common bearberry, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi. Native to most coastal areas and across northern tier of states.

Here is a link that might be useful: bearberry/kinnikinnick

o

Thanks!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 15:41

Habitat description very typical for Actostaphylos uva-ursi.

o

Sounds like you got it with Bearberry (Actostaphylos uva-ursi)! I think I'll collect some seed, and plant some for the birds.

o

• Posted by deejaus Temperate Aust. (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 17:29

Note the 'r' in Arctostaphylos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here