Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hkhachikian

Need Help IDing this tree

hkhachikian
9 years ago

Found these on the side of the road. Need to know what kind of a tree it is and any other information you can give me about it.

Comments (8)

• bob_cville
    9 years ago

Take a leaf and crush and roll it between your hands and sniff. If it smells really bad it is a Alianthus tree, AKA Tree of Heaven.

If no smell, then I think it is some species of sumac.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Tree of Heaven doesn't have that kind of fall color (it turns faintly pale yellow/brown and then falls off). This would be sumac.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Yep, sumac in other respects also. Ailianthus tends to produce a straighter, more stout stem and broader, more spaced out leaflets.

If you do not want a possible large, spreading thicket you will not plant these in open ground on your place, without any provision for containing the root-stocks.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Well, as a suckering plant, not sure if enough roots were dug up to consider these as viable transplants anyway. That's a mighty small pot they're in.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

this is a duplicate post.... perhaps in another forum.. nothing wrong with that ... mind you ...

can you link us to the other..

sumac ... and i suggested its not a suburban friendly plant in that it creates large groves ... [not many things found by the road are 'good'.. as they are usually very aggressive plants that can take a lot of abuse.. and reproduce like rabbits on crack ]

also.. let us know where you are ... so we have a better idea.. of what grows next to the road ...

ken

• hkhachikian
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks everybody. As it is sumac and grows in masses I gave it away I don't have room. I just liked the color of the leaves when i found them. Sorry don't know how to link to my other post. I'm in Ontario Canada. thanks everybody.

• OttawaGardener
    9 years ago

hkhachikian, the Tigers Eye sumac is much more restrained and is stunning year round. It's not supposed to sucker (and it's illegal to reproduce it, lol) but it does when it's really happy. But in a barrel, well worth getting, or in the ground -- just dig up any suckers, you'll have no problem getting takers!

Also, mine doesn't get very big (where the native variety gets huge).

Here is a link that might be useful: tigers eye sumac

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

One of ottowa's yellow sumacs occupies a large planter in front of a theater in the county seat. Wow! Stunning color, graceful, mesmerizing leaf shapes: perfect for a place you want to attract attention to.

[Unfortunately, not at all the color palette for my yard.]