Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinaldj

wild vine

TinaLDJ
9 years ago

I have a heart shaped vine that I have pulled up many times, it has multiplied and regrows every year.
It is pretty and would like to know what it is.
Thank you in advance
Tina

Comments (19)

• User
    9 years ago

In my world, it reminds me of bindWEED. An absolutely evil plant that suffocates nearby trees and shrubs. Does it have white flowers that remind you of morning glories? I used to like morning glory, now I hate them due to this plant. Hope I am wrong about the ID.

• TinaLDJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, this vine has no flowers. It is very fast growing. It does tangle itself on any plant around it though and hangs on tight.

• User
    9 years ago

From your description, you will eventually get those flowers I'm afraid.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    9 years ago

It's Wild buckwheat (Polygonum convolvulus)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild buckwheat

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i have found.. with HUGE bad vines.. to track down where it goes into the ground.. pull it out there...

and then leave it for a week ... to dry and shrivel ...

and then it is much easier to pull out of other plants ...

but this is for the really aggressive ones ...

ken

• TinaLDJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes it looks like the wild buckwheat vine. So thankful it's not the other one.
    Thank you

• eaga
    9 years ago

Sorry, but it does look like morningglory, not wild buckwheat. Wild buckwheat has pointed lobes at the base of the leaves, yours are rounded like morningglory. Also, wild buckwheat has a papery sheath around the vine at the point where the leaf petiole joins, which is absent from your sample.

• TinaLDJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are right, I looked up each plant and looked at the leaves really good and it matches the morning glory. How old does the vines need to be to flower? These has never had aflower on them. I think I will just let it go wild at the corner of my house and see if maybe it has to be established in order to make flowers. The morning glory flower is beautiful, I really hope they will flower for me..

• eaga
    9 years ago

They can flower in their first growing season. In my experience, they sometimes begin flowering very late, almost at summer's end. But I'm in a cooler zone than you so I don't know if the same applies to your plants. They also don't flower well if they get fertilizer that's high in nitrogen, such as is used on lawns. They'll produce lots of vines and leaves but no flowers.

• TinaLDJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am still confused on this vine, ruining out looks like one vine then another....
    It finally produced something other than leaves after a few years... Here is the picture of it now.
    What do y'all think, morning glory or buckwheat vine..

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Neither. Maybe Cynanchum racemosum? But I'm afraid it isn't a plant I am familiar with.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 12:59

• eaga
    9 years ago

Well, neither now that it's flowered. I think it's possibly honeyvine, Cynanchum. Are those yellow blobs part of the plant? They look like aphids.

• TinaLDJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes the yellow is part of the plant, I thought it was bugs also but it's like lots of seeds

• eaga
    9 years ago

Here's an article about C. racemosum - the flowers pictured look a lot like yours. Another possibility is C laeve.

Note also the photo of the seeds, which are much different from the yellow things on your flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: C. racemosum

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
    9 years ago

Agree with C. racemosum.

• TinaLDJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another picture, the yellow things do look like aphids but when I touched them they fell like seeds and wasn't moving.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

None of the photos of C. racemosum flowers online show the yellow objects on the flower stems.

Dead aphids? Molted skins?

Tina, have you tried looking at them under a magnifying glass? Do they have legs and/or wings?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Aphids imo.

• TinaLDJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I'm still learning,, it is aphids.ugh,, Now to spray. Thank y'all for your opinions, I do appreciate them.