Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Volunteers welcome, but not needed

Posted by Leekle2ManE Lady Lake, FL 9a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 11:53

This guy showed up in my yard around the beginning of the summer. At first I did not mind, but he hasn't done much at all since arriving aside from getting bigger. The problem is, he is currently standing right where I have been working on building a herb bed. Not to mention he is standing right over where my water line runs. I asked him to move to some other location, but he just simply refuses. I guess he kind of likes the sandy, well-draining soil. I am at the point where I'm about to forcefully move him myself, but I don't know if I should be looking at kicking him out of my yard completely or if I should find him a new spot to stand. I have asked him for some sort of identification, but he again refuses. So I am curious if any of you have seen him or someone related to him in your yards? Where does he come from and should I be worried about him or welcome him?

Here are some pictures of him:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Volunteers welcome, but not needed

Baccharis ?

o

I agree.

o

Baccharis halimifolia, a.k.a. sea myrtle - bees love it when it's in bloom...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea myrtle

o

I wondered that myself. It looks a bit like the pictures of Baccharis halimifolia in my book of Florida Natives, but I'm a fair distance from the coast and I have not seen this growing wild in my area. It is very possible that it managed to hitchhike after a trip to the beach, with the beach I tend to visit being a very natural area within a preserve with lots of marshland between it and civilization. It is even growing in a spot right next to where I usually unload everything after trips. And while I may or may not be guilty of sometimes grabbing a few seed samples before leaving the beach, I have never picked one of these. Nor would I think to direct sow anything, but would rather try germinating in a controlled environment.

Still, if it is Baccharis, then I will need to move it. A shrub/tree of its size right over the water line is not a good thing.

Any other opinions/input?

o

And a few more responses while I was typing. Thanks for the link Carol. From reading up on it there, it seems that the Sea Myrtle is "Apparently extending its natural range inland from the coastal plain". So this is likely what I have.

Thanks everyone. Now to delicately try to dig it up to transplant it to a better location.

o

It showed up here in my north Atlanta yard .... have no idea how it got here, but I have seen it on a few roadsides nearby in late fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here