Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed or tree?

Posted by lindachinook Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 12:03

This has gotten bigger after I cut it down in the spring. I left it there for privacy but now I want to cut it down and get rid of it. First time I ever saw a seed like pod. You cut it open and the seed inside actually is heart shape. Please does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed or tree?

This is what the plant looks like

o

Looks like a walnut.

o

There's a Japanese walnut known as a heartnut. Both the shell and the edible nut inside are heart-shaped.

Here's Miller Nurseries, who'd like to sell you one:
http://www.millernurseries.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1028

And general info from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans_ailantifolia

If you know anyone who does crafts, you might want to offer them the nuts. (I've no idea how troublesome they are to deal with, or how badly they stain.)

It's an odd thing to find growing on its own. I assume it was planted by a previous owner?

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 17:42

o

A split Black Walnut reveals the seam and it is heart shaped. The shell is a large heart around 2 small lobes containing the nut meat. I think it is just a regular Juglans nigra.

o

Looks like black walnut to me. Might've been "planted" by a squirrel. They love those nuts.

o

The black walnuts I'm familiar with have oval shells, often a bit pointy on one end, but I wouldn't call them heart-shaped.

Depends on who's looking at them, I guess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here