Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name that flower. And that insect?

Posted by svejkovat none (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 12:23

In a house full of beautiful flowers, company always gravitates to these every time. Odd coincidence that I don't know what they are.

photo SDC15095_zpseaf71cac.jpg

And this 'cute' little bugger was on a small fruit tree on the back deck. Amazing that I noticed him. He actually flattened himself against the bark and was all but invisible. Looks just like a 'walking stick' but in caterpillar mode. He's the exact color and texture of the tree bark I removed him from. Wonder if he can do the chameleon presto-changeo thing?

photo SDC15083_zpsd1742763.jpg

photo SDC15080_zps56a3d45b.jpg

photo SDC15090_zps5b68981b.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name that flower. And that insect?

It looks like an inchworm (geometer moth caterpillar). Can't really narrow it more than that.

o

The plant is a Cape Primrose - Streptocarpus. You can propagate them from leaves if any visitor wants a cutting.

o

Streptocarpus, yes, and a beautifully grown one.

Gary

o

Thank you for that. I must have known at one time. The name is familiar. It's in east facing picture window and seems to get just the right indirect sunlight.

A couple of cuttings in a small vase on the kitchen sink lasts an amazingly long four weeks or so.

o

The biggest Streptocarpus grower in the UK is Dibley's Nursery. Here are their instructions for taking cuttings. Not as cut flowers but to make new plants for your friends. It really is very straight forward.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf cuttings

o

Thank you for that tip and the link. I've had a few pleas for something to bring home and each time I've unearthed a rooted section. I don't know if it is typical of this species, but rather than one large rooted growth there are many scattered in the soil beneath the leaves. Very easy to nab a small one. But from now on I can send folks off with a leaf and instructions from that link.

Like I mentioned, there is something particularly attractive about this flower. I've got some exceptionally beautiful orchids in my office space and a couple of flowering Maple and Bougainvillea in other parts of the house (i'm most fond of papery colorful delicate blooms). Last year I had a large old Hibiscus with a solid one inch trunk that just would not stop producing mind-blowing six inch diameter blooms all over like fireworks for months straight. Sadly, I left it on the deck through a couple of early frosts and lost it.

Still, everyone seems to swoon over the Cape Primrose.

Thanks for the info guys.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here