Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?

Posted by JonnieSilvs none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 12:43

This plant is growing in front of a large, north-facing window at my university. There are small leaves situated (mostly) at the new growth points, although there are a few scattered ones at nodes. It is perhaps 8 feet tall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?

Euphorbia tirucalli, or Pencil Cactus. Sap may be very toxic to some; handle c care.
It is a tough, no-care plant (other than handling) plant that needs very little water and moderate light. Very happy in clay and watered once a month or less.

o

Hi there
it could be a sun starved Euphorbia tirucalli (pencil tree or something)
they naturalize on the Canary Island but probably originate frome somewhere else.

you can root cuttings/ limbs after they dried for some days,
bye, Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: funny Euphorbia

o

These plants should almost come c an MSDS.
If you cut them, be careful not to get that sap on your skin- or worse yet in your eyes.They bleed like stuck pigs. Wash hands and arms after handling. Wear protective clothing and gloves.
They are originally from Africa.

o

Bleeding of the plant is stopped immediately if the cut is doused with water.

o

The latex is caustic on skin only to those who are sensitive to it (mucous membranes are different). Many have no reaction at all. I have never found the latex bleeding of any euphorbia to be much of an issue - I prune my pencil cactus as needed to get the puppy back indoors each fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here