Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant (easy)

Posted by yksel Italy (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 12:45

I would like to know the name of this plant. It has yellow small flowers in the morning that close in the afternoon....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant (easy)

whats the scale on this ...

at first i thought shrub.. then realized its pretty small

reminds me of a purslane

if not fancy flowered.. i would also call it a weed...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

It looks like Portulaca oleracea to me, too, Ken. Probably a common weed, but there are many ornamental specimens, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornamental AND common purslane

o

As an aside, a weed is any plant that's growing where you don't want it to be. If you want it or don't mind it, it ain't a weed.

o

And if you're interested, purslane is edible.

(Eating succulents just seems wrong.)

o

Looks like purslane to me too (weed). If not in a controlled environment, it will take over- just be mindful.

o

Thanks, yes I checked and is the Purslane.
And is edible. what do you mean missingtheobvious that "seems wrong"?

o

you dont eat them.. you suck on them ... lol ...

i think obvious collect them.. and is aghast at eating the kin of her babes... lol ...

or... as most are cactus.. it might hurt.. lol ...

in my 5 acres ANY bare earth in june.. will be covered by this stuff... by august.... i do not suggest you encourage one you found in the garden .... odds are.. it will be lacking good garden manners ..

and that of course.. has nothing to do with cultivars selected and bred with a specific use in mind [such as pretty flowers] ... as many such.. will lack the seed producing vigor of the weed... or even be sterile ....

ken

o

If you know about this plant,pls inform me...

o
If you know about this plant,pls inform me...

Portulaca Oleracea

Here is a link that might be useful: Be informed

o

Ken, yes, I've grown succulents (and the occasionally thorny plant) since I was a kid ... grew up in zone 9-10 California. Babysat a jade plant in the car when we moved from New England to the Midwest; took it to college and grad school; took it to my first full-time job. So not wanting to eat my children is certainly part of it!

I can't explain the rest of why eating succulents seems so wrong. Maybe that jade plants' leaves aren't at all like lettuce. Maybe the clear "skin" on succulents (yes, I know other plants have that too).

But come to think of it, I've eaten nopal (prickly pear "leaves") a couple of times, cooked, in Mexican food. Didn't like it the first time. A year or two ago, warily looking for peppers in a chicken dish, I recognized some nopal. It was in smaller pieces, and had taken on the taste of the sauce around it; I felt neutral about that.

But then again, I've never felt close to a prickly pear. If you cut up and cooked some jade leaves for me, I would in fact recoil in horror.

o
RE: Portulaca/purslane

Def. edible & very healthy for you & relished by some cultures, but I've tried it & cannot recommend; kind of tasteless & mushy when cooked, tasteless & kind of goopy when raw. I guess you might call it 'subsistence food'...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here