Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My neighbor's hedge plant. Want to buy it!

Posted by cpy911 OR (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 12:59

I want to plant a hedge on the side of my yard and asked a neighbor a few houses down for a sample of his hedge. He did not know the name.

He said it is pretty fast growing. The plants are about 6 ft high. The plant has small pink flowers and small green leaves. I am trying to identify it. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My neighbor's hedge plant. Want to buy it!

Escallonia ?

o

I think you are right. Escallonia AKA Pink Princess.

o

Hi cpy911 - Escallonia isn't exactly aka Pink Princess. Pink Princess is a marketing name given to Escallonia x exoniensis 'Fradesii'. There are various Escallonia species, hybrids and cultivars in dark and light pink and white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Escallonias

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 17:26

One asked about has wrong leaf shape and flower coloring for 'Frades'. However, you may not feel the need to get exactly the same one as the neighbor, and 'Frades' is one of the most easy to find on the local market. However, it freezes to the ground during sharper winters, such as during 1990. So with any local plantings there is the possibility of developing a nice hedge or specimen only to have it die down and start over again from the crown. But restoration of the top is pretty quick.

I prefer hardier, more graceful 'Donard Seedling' ('Apple Blossom' misapplied) but nurseries don't seem to have any of it these days. They do often have 'Donard Radiance' but this produces quite strongly colored flowers (but perhaps to your taste anyway) and I suspect it would also go down in a hard winter.

There is also dwarf forms being seen at outlets but these produce low hummocks - and are liable to burn in sharp cold. The party across the street from me has multiple examples of one of them. These all went brown a few years back, have still not filled back in perfectly.

This post was edited by bboy on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 17:29

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here