Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bedstuygardener

Wild grapes growing in my backyard, are they edible?

BedStuyGardener
12 years ago

Hi All,

I would be super happy to know if I can/should eat these wild grapes growing wildly in my backyard. I don't know if someone else planted before I moved in or not, but it's a very aggressive plant. In fact, before I moved in, the landlord had thought he had destroyed it all, but shoots from the tree took off at the onset of summer and the plant has reached from one side of the yard to the other in the course of a few months. The grapes start green and have just recently started turning dark purple in the last few weeks. When I open the grapes, they smell like grape juice and I really want to eat them, but am afraid they might be poisonous. Your help identifying is greatly appreciated!

Image link:

Comments (12)

• ChatanoogaChooChoo
    12 years ago

I would say they are fine. Doing a quick search of 'poisonous grapes' only turns up dog stories, but I have no personal experience myself.

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Looks like wild grapes to me. Just so you know, if you check edible wild plant and forager info, the poisonous wild grape look alike is Canadian Moonseed, Menispermum canadense. That is the plant you need to make sure it isn't.

FataMorgana

• Carrie B
    12 years ago

That's not moonseed. I'm loathe to suggest someone try something if they're not 100% sure, nevertheless, that's exactly what I'd do if this plant showed up in my yard.

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

Yes, I agree not moonseed, looks like wild grapes. But since we are talking about eating wild plants, I just wanted to mention the look alike so the OP and anyone reading this post (and we both know there are plenty of those!) would know that not everything that looks like a wild grape might be a wild grape.

I personally have never seen moonseed. Grapes, on the other hand... I live in a part of the US known for grapes and wine. Wild grapes grow every place. They are a common "weed" for me to deal with in gardens. Old vines in forests here get as thick as young tree trunks - you could swing on the vines like Tarzan! I would think nothing of using anything that looked like wild grapes. But I'm sure not everyone has the same situation, hence the word of caution. :)

FataMorgana

• linda_schreiber
    12 years ago

Those are wild grapes. I ate many pounds of those as a kid, right off the vine, after climbing halfway up the tree they were on. Never liked the skins much, so I would crack the skin with my teeth, and then suck out the greenish insides. And the spit out the seeds.

The grapevines themselves may be a menace, but the fruit is edible. The flavor doesn't compare to modern varieties. But they won't hurt you.

• BedStuyGardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your replies and insight, everyone. The grapes are delicious.

• pawla656
    8 years ago

Those are not WILD grapes. That is a Concord Grape vine. Makes the best jelly. I see it's been years since the last comment but wanted to weigh in. Make sure they are really purple before you cut the bunch off the vine, they should look a little dusty. I have my grandfather's vine that is over 60 years old. I eat the seeds by not actually chewing the grape, just crush a bit (on the roof of your mouth). I used to eat a few of those tiny green tendrils every once in a while...sour but good. There are tons of recipes for Concord Grapes online. Good in a smoothie too...seeds and all. You can also tame the vine...plenty of videos on YouTube, just look up "Concord Grape Vine". Good luck !

• macranthos
    8 years ago

I suppose by now the op would know what they are many times over...

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    8 years ago

Well since this thread has been brought back to life, I figure I'll comment. I have seen Canadian moonseed. Once you see it you'll immediately find that it actually looks very little like wild grapes. It has distinctly shaped, non-toothed leaves, doesn't have tendrils, and obviously, the seeds inside the berries look like moons with a little chunk taken out.

Whether the OP's grapes are Concord or wild would be kinda hard to find out. Especially since Concord grapes were selected from wild fox grapes.

Rodney

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

a concord grape.. properly ripened .. tastes and smells .... just like welch's grape jelly ...

ken

• parczel
    7 years ago

I am in a similar situation, also in bedstuy... hoping to have a similar outcome in september...

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists