Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me ID this plant :)

Posted by Rawria North Louisiana (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 13:36

I found this tree along a walking trail that borders a small lake, in North Louisiana. There are quite a few around. They have pinkish fruit on the tree, but the ones on the ground range from bright blue to dark purple. I picked up a blue one and it gradually started turning purple where my fingers touched it. The tree also had something that resembled hops. The fruit had a white jelly-like interior and smelled sweet. Any ideas? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me ID this plant :)

Ostrya virginica? Hop Hornbeam. The jelly like fruit are not from the same tree. The hop like things are the fruit of the tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hop Hornbeam

o

Hmm, I'll have to go look at the tree again. I thought for sure the little fruits were attached to the same tree as the hop growths, which was why I was confused by this odd tree, but I will bring my glasses next time! Thank you :)

This post was edited by Rawria on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 14:22

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 15:11

Two different plants intermixed.

o

It is hard to say from the photos but it almost looks like a grape vine growing up the tree... If they are grapes, the color change may just be your finger oil on the powdery surface of the grape skin.

o

Thanks y'all! I went back and it is hard to follow the branches back to a trunk, but the leaves next to the berries are slightly different than the hop tree. So, I'm not losing my mind, just my vision ha!

On a side note, I believe the purple fruit in the top picture is a muscadine grape? It came from under a separate hop tree that had a bigger tree towering over it with a vine covering it. I suppose coincidence that there are 2 different types of purpleish fruits next to each other, but the blueish ones had a mushy brown interior. Now to try and root a clipping of the grape vine! :D

Thanks again all! :)

o

yep - just get the seeds from the grape. They grow fast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here