Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veegardens

New House - Need to ID a possible Cherry Tree

veegardens
9 years ago

I just moved into a new house (yay!). I am hoping this pair of trees in the backyard are (edible) cherry trees. But I am unsure if they are actually cherry trees, and it may just be wishful thinking. But waiting until spring or summer to find out... well that is just asking for too much patience!!

I live in Oakland (Sunset zone 17). These were definitely planted on purpose (not wild). The tree looks a bit sad because no one was living here for months and they didn't get watered. There are 2 trees, one is just a bit smaller than the other. They are about 4 feet from each other.

{{gwi:337909}}

{{gwi:337910}}

{{gwi:337911}}

{{gwi:337912}}

{{gwi:337913}}

Comments (7)

• veegardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In addition, there is another, much smaller tree. It is unclear if it's planted or wild... if I had to guess, I'd guess wild. It isn't quite the same as the other trees, but it has similar properties. Bonus if anyone can ID that! I can also go out and take more pictures.

{{gwi:337914}}

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Top is a very thirsty cherry and bottom is an apple.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Soak the root area on both of them as asap!
    I agree, two cherries and an apple desperate for water.
    Mike

• veegardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm soaking it now, thanks both of you :)

• veegardens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I talked to a neighbor who said these trees are about 2 years old. She doesn't recall seeing fruit on them. I know cherry trees might not fruit for several years until they are more mature.

Is there a way to find out if these are fruiting vs ornamental cherries?

Also, there are 2 trees planted next to each other. But to properly fertilize, my (limited) understanding is there needs to be 2 different TYPEs of trees. These look like the same type of tree - is there a way to find out? Can cherry trees self-polinate at all, and just produce a smaller yield?

If these are ornamental, I might dig them up and plant fruiting varieties.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Both the cherry and the apple look like fruiting trees to me. Fruit tree pollination can get complicated. I would wait until next season to see what you have. Until they flower you won't know if they are the same or different cultivars. Even if they are the same some are self fertile. I suggest you post again in the Spring on the Fruit and Orchards Forum for more advice on pollination. Definitely don't dig them, or anything else, up, until you have lived with your garden at least one full year from the day you moved in. Many a fine garden has been lost by hasty decisions to get rid of things and attempts to 'care for' plants which are managing just fine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sorry ... forgot link to Fruit Forum

This post was edited by floral_uk on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 8:32

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

there is a very active fruit forum .. and the fruits there.. do things very differently.. as compared to general gardeners

if you want to take them to the next level.. find those experts ... and they will surely have your pollination answers.. if anyone can actually ID a cultivar by leaf alone ... which i doubt ...

maybe by flower.. but you will have to wait until next spring for that ...

i am not very sure.. about the siting of these plants in your scape... black cherry trees can go on 60 to 80 feet... and apple 20 to 40 .. in the decades to come.. yours appear to be planted a foot or two from your foundation .. one would hope.. that the prior owner was bright enough to plant dwarf varieties... and surely you wont ID that from leaves alone ... but maybe the fruit pees can answer that by annual growth rates ... and do keep in mind.. that a dwarf of an 80 foot tree.. might be a mere 40 feet tall in not all that many years ... dwarf does not mean tiny ...

good luck

ken