Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasons34

Love this but what is it?

Jasons34
10 years ago

I was at a pond store just last week and noticed this ground cover (?) at the top of the waterfall and wanted to know if anyone here knew. I asked the girl that was working at the time and she had no clue. I am hoping it is something I can put out at my pond though it gets full sun. Thanks in advance.

Comments (30)

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Lantana camara.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

not winter hardy in my z5..

interesting that a google search.. one link says winter hardy to z4.. and other say 10-11 ... whats that all about..

which is it????

ken

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Zone 6b to 8b depending on species, clone and soil conditions.

This post was edited by saltcedar on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 18:03

• florauk
    10 years ago

Its position by the pond was serendipitous. It doesn't need that environment.

• Jasons34
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So this wouldn't be winter hardy in Pennsylvania? (Not sure what me zone actually is)

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

These are hardly hardy to zone 8. Some are reputed to be hardy to Atlanta, but that is about as far north as they re-grow without extraordinary winter help. One frost, the top dies, a day of less than 32F and the roots die. Probably a good thing as any Australian can tell you.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Lantana motividensis is evergreen in zone 8 and root hardy in zone 7, 6b with a heavy mulch and good drainage.
    Lantana horrida ( urticoides) also root hardy in zone 8, 7b with a mulch.

• Jasons34
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So this wouldn't be winter hardy in Pennsylvania? (Not sure what me zone actually is)

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Probably not, yours is L. camara only hardy in zone 8b or a little colder.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

To find out your USDA plant hardiness zone, enter your zip code at upper left here:
    http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

• Jasons34
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry I don't know why that double posted like that. I am zone 6b so that's a no go for me. Thank you

• Carrie B
    10 years ago

Jason - they're really easy to find in spring. I'm in Philadelphia, and they're sold in 4" pots for about $3 apiece. By now, those little potted plants are huge. If you love them, you'll find plenty to choose from in May!

• Jasons34
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I must not get out a lot then because thats the first I've ever seen them. What planting conditions do they like. I have a spot I would like to put them but it would get full sun and I also have about 3" of decorative stone.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Mobot isn't a particularly good source of info' for subtropical hardiness. They way underestimate it in most cases. L. camara is a good example. It is thoroughly naturalized here in zone 8b, yet they list 10 (or 9 as root hardy).

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Agree L. camara is quite hardy, a ubiquitous 'old' shrub in many yards in S Ala, getting 6+ feet tall after mild winters. So that means they're surviving single-digit temps in many years from being completely ignored (when they are dead above-ground, but would be surprising if it didn't grow back from the roots.)

Plant in full sun, cover with a couple feet of leaves after frosted, excellent drainage, possible adjacent pavement, you could push the zone easily I'm sure, but how far - who knows? 6B? Maybe. Against a basement wall (west or south side) is more reliable in my limited experience at zone pushing in 5b. One can naturalize Mirabilis jalapa, Gladiolus, and Canna in 5b...

In a pot, a window well might be an option, or against a wall under a pile of leaves.

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

It grows wild here in Texas

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

The most cold hardy variety is 'Miss Huff'. Just be sure not to prune it until new spring growth is present.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lantana ' Miss Huff'

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Here's one for all you Lantana lovers.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

It makes a huge difference where in the zone system you are located - zone 8 Texas is NOT the same as zone 8 Washington state. There is no way in the world lantana - any lantana - would overwinter in my climate and I am much closer to a 9 than 8. It has a lot to do with average heat index (very low here), snow cover and amount of annual rainfall and when it occurs.

Jason, this plant will be sold as a summer annual in your climate. Inexpensive to replace annually and fast to grow. But very unlikely to winter over.

• YeaRasta
    10 years ago

Grows wild here in the Caribbean....really good for fevers

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

Can you take them indoors as a house plant for the winter and put it out like you do with hibiscus???

Just wondering

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

deleted duplicate post

This post was edited by ians_gardener on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 23:20

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I have that exact one and it has grown like crazy, it was taller than the house till my husband got the pruning shears to it and now it's more of a bush size. It winters beautifully in the garden and gets a good amount of sun daily here in the area north of Houston. It is easy to grow from cuttings. I have some of the other colors also but have never seen that Lavender popcorn! I want it!

• wally_1936
    10 years ago

Harvest the seeds they put on plenty.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Have probably never seen one of these overwinter here, that I was aware of. Spiny nuisance shrub in Hawaii.

Apart from the effects of summer heat on maturing and overwintering of various plants - with hot summer climates enabling some kinds to persist that would not mature adequately before fall or winter in cool summer climates - there is variation in how well different people get themselves placed in the right USDA zone.

• Carrie B
    10 years ago

I've never seen Lantana overwinter outdoors in the Philadelphia area. However, I do see them for sale at big box stores every spring, for cheap, in a variety of colors.

• linlily
    10 years ago

Wonderful annual, Jason. I am always able to find a nice variety of colors of Lantana at any private garden center here in western PA. I usually grow mine in a large pot with some other annuals. Bees love them and so do I.

In recent years, there have been lots of new varieties come on the market. I like the "Patriot" series and have grown many plants from that group.

I'd purchase one of these rather than grow them from seed. In our area, it takes a long time to get flowers from seedlings, but purchased plants usually have flowers on them already, even ones in a four inch pot.

Linda

• Jasons34
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yea im going to try it next spring. But instead of planting it in the ground I'm going to plant in an oversized pot. What month should I start looking around for it?

• linlily
    10 years ago

I like to buy mine the first week of May. You should wait to plant it until danger of frost is over, which is around the middle of May here. If I wait too long to buy mine, I'm limited as to my choice of colors. One year, all the local garden center had left was totally gold ones - no change of color as the flowers age. I enjoyed it anyway, but I do like the multi colored blooms. This year I planted my multi colored lantana with 3 bubble gum pink million bells in the same pot. I loved the effect of the colors together.

Linda