Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's HUGE, man!

Posted by SlenderHope none (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 16:44

A while back I tossed some wildflower seeds into a bed in my front yard. I don't know if this scattering of seeds is related to the eruption of these plants or if they are just really big weeds. The biggest one is probably six feet tall. So far, I'm seeing no sign of flower buds.

I've let them stay so far because the foliage is really pretty and whatever they are, they have a bit of impact.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's HUGE, man!

Here's another photo.

o

Ragweed.

o

No. I know it's not ragweed. I found a couple of those growing in the bed and they are not the same. The leaf is very similar, but it's not as leggy as that plant and there are no buds on it. The ragweed was covered in them. This may be related, but it's not the same.

o

No. I know it's not ragweed. I found a couple of those growing in the bed and they are not the same. The leaf is very similar, but it's not as leggy as that plant and there are no buds on it. The ragweed was covered in them. This may be related, but it's not the same.

o

Looks like common ragweed/Ambrosia artemisiifolia to me, too.

o

Might be cosmos which can get big in it's un-refined form.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cosmos sulphureus

o

Yes, true, could be the orange cosmos.

o

The orange one flowers early, is short, tops out around 3 feet.
I think it's ragweed.

o
e orange one flowers early, is short, tops out around 3 feet.

Not the unhybridized ones, they can be six feet tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: giant-cosmos

This post was edited by saltcedar on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 17:34

o

Thanks saltcedar, but the link doesn't work for me. Nevertheless, I think that what I have may well be a giant cosmos. I have smaller cosmos in my bed and the foliage is almost exactly the same. Also, from what I've been reading, a number of people in other forums are claiming that these things can reach 10 feet tall. One of mine is well on its way to that height. I'll be curious to see what happens...if they bloom. If they do, I'll post photos here.

o

I would go with Cosmos too
They just about took over our farm...

o

Finally got Saltcedar's picture to open. YES. That's what I've got. I knew it wasn't ragweed!

o

I had some cosmos like that, yellow flowers in the fall (I'm in TX) and the seeds come up next spring. The stalks aren't all that strong, a good wind pushed some right over but they make a really nice focal point in a bed with a few growing together. When everything else has lost their blooms, there are the giant cosmos, all bright green and yellow.

o

I just wanted to follow up. I was sure this stuff wasn't ragweed, and I'm so glad I didn't rip it out. It has finally begun to bloom and it is a giant cosmos! I got my husband to stand next to these. He's 6' tall.

o

Here's another pic. These flowers are bigger than ordinary cosmos, too.

o

Congrats, so is it a giant Cosmos sulphurea? Most amazing,

Mine are always much shorter.

Bye, Lin

o

Cool, thanks for the update!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 17:32

Now let's all discuss what kind the husband might be. I will start by pointing out the somewhat uncommitted facial expression and crossed arms, perhaps those are diagnostic.

o

Lovely blooms!

o

Hey bboy...believe me, he didn't want a photo of him hanging out with flowers! :) Seriously, though, he didn't mind. But I agree...the body language is pretty funny.

o

That's the tallest Cosmos sulphureus I've ever seen! I do hope you'll consider collecting and trading seeds from that beast.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 22:08

The beast in this instance being the plant and not the husband.

o

Indeed!

o

I'll tell him you allowed as how he wasn't a beast, bboy!

I do plan to harvest the seeds, for sure. I'm hoping that a lot of them fall into the same bed as I'd love to have them recurring next year. They bloom late for me, apparently, when nothing much else is going on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here