Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slenderhope_gw

It's HUGE, man!

SlenderHope
10 years ago

A while back I tossed some wildflower seeds into a bed in my front yard. I don't know if this scattering of seeds is related to the eruption of these plants or if they are just really big weeds. The biggest one is probably six feet tall. So far, I'm seeing no sign of flower buds.

I've let them stay so far because the foliage is really pretty and whatever they are, they have a bit of impact.

Comments (24)

• SlenderHope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another photo.

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Ragweed.

• SlenderHope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No. I know it's not ragweed. I found a couple of those growing in the bed and they are not the same. The leaf is very similar, but it's not as leggy as that plant and there are no buds on it. The ragweed was covered in them. This may be related, but it's not the same.

• SlenderHope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No. I know it's not ragweed. I found a couple of those growing in the bed and they are not the same. The leaf is very similar, but it's not as leggy as that plant and there are no buds on it. The ragweed was covered in them. This may be related, but it's not the same.

• jaynine
    10 years ago

Looks like common ragweed/Ambrosia artemisiifolia to me, too.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Might be cosmos which can get big in it's un-refined form.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:338359}}

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Yes, true, could be the orange cosmos.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

The orange one flowers early, is short, tops out around 3 feet.
    I think it's ragweed.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Not the unhybridized ones, they can be six feet tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:324236}}

This post was edited by saltcedar on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 17:34

• SlenderHope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks saltcedar, but the link doesn't work for me. Nevertheless, I think that what I have may well be a giant cosmos. I have smaller cosmos in my bed and the foliage is almost exactly the same. Also, from what I've been reading, a number of people in other forums are claiming that these things can reach 10 feet tall. One of mine is well on its way to that height. I'll be curious to see what happens...if they bloom. If they do, I'll post photos here.

• costaricafinca
    10 years ago

I would go with Cosmos too
    They just about took over our farm...

• SlenderHope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally got Saltcedar's picture to open. YES. That's what I've got. I knew it wasn't ragweed!

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

I had some cosmos like that, yellow flowers in the fall (I'm in TX) and the seeds come up next spring. The stalks aren't all that strong, a good wind pushed some right over but they make a really nice focal point in a bed with a few growing together. When everything else has lost their blooms, there are the giant cosmos, all bright green and yellow.

• SlenderHope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just wanted to follow up. I was sure this stuff wasn't ragweed, and I'm so glad I didn't rip it out. It has finally begun to bloom and it is a giant cosmos! I got my husband to stand next to these. He's 6' tall.

• SlenderHope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another pic. These flowers are bigger than ordinary cosmos, too.

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

Congrats, so is it a giant Cosmos sulphurea? Most amazing,

Mine are always much shorter.

Bye, Lin

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Cool, thanks for the update!

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Now let's all discuss what kind the husband might be. I will start by pointing out the somewhat uncommitted facial expression and crossed arms, perhaps those are diagnostic.

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

Lovely blooms!

• SlenderHope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey bboy...believe me, he didn't want a photo of him hanging out with flowers! :) Seriously, though, he didn't mind. But I agree...the body language is pretty funny.

• jaynine
    10 years ago

That's the tallest Cosmos sulphureus I've ever seen! I do hope you'll consider collecting and trading seeds from that beast.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

The beast in this instance being the plant and not the husband.

• jaynine
    10 years ago

Indeed!

• SlenderHope
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll tell him you allowed as how he wasn't a beast, bboy!

I do plan to harvest the seeds, for sure. I'm hoping that a lot of them fall into the same bed as I'd love to have them recurring next year. They bloom late for me, apparently, when nothing much else is going on.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area