Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple or lemon seedling?

Posted by Taneedley none (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 18:00

I tried to germinate some apple and lemon seeds a while ago. I thought that I was unsuccessful so I re used the soil for my coleus plants. These popped up a couple weeks ago and I can't figure out whether they are apple seedlings or lemon seedlings. Can anybody help me out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple or lemon seedling?

It's difficult to tell, given the fuzziness and glare of that photo. But I've pulled up uncounted apple seedlings, and there's a lemon in the living room window, so I'll offer a guess:

Coleus: highly unlikely.
Apple: unlikely.
Lemon: probable.

Something else: possible.
===

You might want to go to the Citrus forum to see what they say about whether lemons grow true from seed (apparently it depends on the variety, though it's more complicated than that), and how long you'll need to wait before they can flower and bear.

[Apples do not grow true from seed. You might get something good, or you might not.]

o
RE: Apple or lemon seedling?

Yes, that blurry pic makes it very difficult, if not impossible to judge, but that said, a very easy tell for any citrus is that citrus leaves are very fragrant & perfume-y when crushed. You might try breaking off a bit & crushing it for a sniff test...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here