Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Groundcover and/or Vine and/or Weed ID

Hi guys,

My house backs to a lake. The majority of the yard is level to the house and then it has a substantial step down to another level that is a large planting area. Then, it's steps down again to the dock level, and that area is not large, pretty narrow, and right above the water.

In my mind, and sometimes my mind is wrong, I pictured planting vines to drop down from the secondary level to the third level, right up to the water. Knowing vincas will grow that long, I bought a six pack of vinca minor hoping it would do that, probably propagate some cuttings at a time to fill the last wall down. It would take awhile but no biggie.
{{gwi:340375}}

Like I said, in my mind, this made for a nice picture -- but I hadn't planted them yet as I wanted to get down there and work some more conditioner into the large planting area down there and pour out compost before doing any real planting in the either rock hard clay or sticky and mucky clay, depending on where.

I have a handful of veggies I put down there already in some amended soil...and existing palm of some sort and a bunch of "weeds".in the untouched soil.

Well, today -- I was watering the veggies when I glanced over at the weeds I've been avoiding when I start to think they look eerily like vinca vines.

{{gwi:340376}}

Closeup:
{{gwi:340377}}Are these different "weeds" or is this vinca?
If it is vinca, boy, do I feel silly for having bought more.

And if not -- then what is it, and what's the best method of getting rid of it? I plan to have my guy go in and dig them all up this weekend with a shovel...but perhaps there would be an easier way. He's not big on gardening and while he does do some of the heavier work for me, the usually even-tempered man is cranky and angry within 4.5 minutes of doing garden work! :)

Oh -- and, walking back up to the house, I spotted this:
{{gwi:340378}}

Is that cilantro?
It's just next to a rock and I didn't put it there. The only thing I did put down in that whole area was forget-me-nots and everything but seems to be coming up right now.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer on my mystery weeds!

Comments (8)