Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
prickly pod fruit or vegetable on vine?

Posted by jane_socal Sunset 23/z10 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 15, 08 at 18:37

Not even a group of master gardeners could identify what this thin-skinned pod is (a fruit? a vegetable?). The pod felt spongy or airy, not firm underneath like a lychee (for instance) would be.

Anyone have a clue what it is?

Image link: prickly pod fruit or vegetable on vine? (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: prickly pod fruit or vegetable on vine?

It appears to me to be the Soursop aka Annona muricata, commonly known in the trade as prickly custard apple.Should be a small tree and not a vine. Fruits make a wonderful banana/pineapple -tasting sorbet. Should we bring a spoon? ;-)

o

I'm sorry that i don't know what it is, buy i just want to point out that it is definately not an Annona. The leaves give it away. There are several different types of annonas that grow wild on my grandma's property in El Salvador (A. Squamosa, Reticulata, Muricata, Lutescens), so i know what the leaves and fruit look like.

o

I think a Matalea. There are a few species; some have spiny pods and leaves that look just like that.

Joe

o

I have no idea but if it's a Matalea a milky sap should run if you break off a leaf. Here's a link to pics of one variety of Matalea. It's not the same as your pic but there are similarities.
Karyn

Here is a link that might be useful: matalea

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 19, 08 at 10:40

I think it is Clytostoma callistegioides, violet trumpet vine. Here is a pic of the seed pod.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clytostoma callistegioides, violet trumpet vine

o

Thanks to all who responded--I think Susan's right. Maybe we just don't see the pods often enough on the vine to identify them easily, but the ones in the links look just like the ones I saw.

The Annonas have leathery skin and a more solid feel than this did. It makes sense that it would have feathery seeds inside rather than something with high water content. The only photos I could find of Matelea seed pods online didn't have leaves that looked like this, or the same shape and texture.

Again, thank you all for responding--this forum is terrific!

o

I would love to try that vine Clytostoma callistegioides, violet trumpet vine looks really cool.
spiney pod and all LOL

thanks
Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here