Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fizgig777

Shrub with orange berries?

Photographed in PA (Pocono Mountains) on 09.08.09. Any idea what it is?

Thanks in advance!

{{gwi:344456}}

Comments (8)

• lycopus
    14 years ago

One of the weedy shrub honeysuckles, such as Lonicera maackii

• fizgig777 ╰⊰❀ Z7a ❀⊱╮
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lonicera maackii (Amur Honeysuckle), indeed! Thank very much!

• weedwoman
    14 years ago

Certainly a honeysuckle, but I don't think it's maackii - the leaves aren't long and pointy enough. And the stems of the fruit are too long. More likely Lonicera tatarica, or maybe morrowii. Also, from what I can find, L. maackii has dark red fruit while the other two have yellow/orange fruited varieties.

Regardless, all 3 are pretty weedy and invasive if they're growing out in the woods.

WW

• fizgig777 ╰⊰❀ Z7a ❀⊱╮
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm... Okie.... Well, all the shrubs of this type in the area had white flowers back in May. Also, they seem to have red or orange berries -- leaves and flowers look identical, but the berry color can be either translucent red or orange.

The resource I found for L. Maackii showed a red berry bearing bush next to an orange berry bearer. Here's that resource.

Any ideas?

Thank you both for your responses!

• weedwoman
    14 years ago

I don't think that that IS a picture of Lonicera maackii, actually. Look at their description - 'acuminate leaves' and "persistent red berries on short stalks ". Those leaves aren't very long pointed (acuminate) and you can see the stalks on the berries in that picture aren't especially short. (And the berries aren't all red, either, as you pointed out.)

To see the short berry stalks they're referring to, check out the Virginia tech page for L. maackii. They're right up against the branch, unlike your picture which very clearly shows rather long stalks. (Your pic shows them better than anything I was able to find on the web, as a matter of fact.)

And check out the leaves in these pictures of L. maackii compared to
    the ones on L. morrowii
    - I think they look much more like your picture.

I couldn't find any good pictures of L tatarica but I know from experience that they're very similar to L. morrowii. All 3 of these honeysuckles occur in the Poconos.

WW

• fizgig777 ╰⊰❀ Z7a ❀⊱╮
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did some digging and found a pretty good description for L. Tatarica which seems to fit the bushes I found. I agree with you that it's not L. Maackii, but I'm not entirely convinced it's L. Morrowii due to the resources showing it with red berries and the size of the bushes don't quite match. The ones I found were 5ft. tall or better. L. Morrowii doesn't appear to grow quite that big.

Also found a picture of L. Tatarica which is a perfect match to mine. Also found this shot showing both red and orange berry form. What do you think?

Oh, I also went back to my series of photos in the same area (along an old deserted road) and pulled up the photo of the plant in bloom. Maybe that will help a bit more in getting a positive ID.

{{gwi:344458}}

I really appreciate your time in helping with a positive ID. Because the plant is an invasive species and is found in the Delaware Water Gap NF, the ID is particularly important in reporting the invasive species location. They're actually working on eradicating invasive species in the area.

Thanks again!

• lycopus
    14 years ago

Weedwoman is correct that L. maackii has shorter peduncles than the plant in your picture. If the leaves are lighter beneath/short-fuzzy (pubescent) and the peduncles less than 1.5 cm long they are L. morrowii. If the leaves are smooth beneath and the peduncles more than 1.5 cm they are L. tatarica. Slightly pubescent lower leaf surfaces and peduncles less than 1.5 cm would indicate the hybrid of the two, L. x bella. My understanding is that all three species can hybridize so I didn't put much thought into my initial response.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Amur honeysuckle I've seen had noticeably large, broad leaves and were robust shrubs. It is not a weed here so I have seen only a small number of cultivated examples. All were large and stout enough that many observers would probably describe them as "trees".