Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub with whorls of pink samaras

Posted by ging 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 21:58

Hello!
Looking for a little help with i.d.'ing a shrub or 'not yet a tree' (that's doubtful) that I was finally able to stop and get a sample. It's got a shape somewhat reminiscent of a Weigela (mounded, arching/drooping stems, and approximately 4' to 6' tall. Can't say what the flowers looked like as they were all gone by the time I got to it, but it certainly looks as if they were in whorls and in spikes or racemes. The samaras are a darker rosy color than the photo shows and the leaves a bit darker, richer green. Depending on how long the samaras have been present it may have had similarly colored flowers.
Leaves are alternate and can be upwards of 4" long and 3" wide with a matte surface. Will try to post a second time with the samara photo.
Picture isn't the greatest, but at least it gives you something to ask more questions about? :)
Appreciate any help and your time,
Ging

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub with whorls of pink samaras

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 22:04

Knotweed (Fallopia, Polygonum etc.). An herbaceous perennial, with stems that die to the ground in fall.

o
RE: Shrub with whorls of pink samaras

• Posted by ging 7a (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 22:51

Thanks so much - I'm familiar with 'Lady's Thumb' but this was a new one on me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here