Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown shrub

Posted by georgiavines 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 22:21

Hi
This open shrub is 8 feet tall and loses it's leaves in the winter. No flowers at all.
Thanks
Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown shrub

Perhaps some type of mulberry (Morus)?

o

I have a black mulberry and the leaves on this are about 8-10 inches long and very shiny.

o

Another picture of the whole shrub if this helps

o

Another picture of the whole shrub if this helps

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 11:12

the leaves in the first photo look quite different than the leaves in the second. Is that the same plant?

First one looks similar to a pin oak.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 11:35

White mulberry (Morus alba) seedling, ones like this are asked about repeatedly. Searching may bring up threads with pictures showing same.

The true black mulberry (M. nigra) produces dull leaves and is a stubby tree like a fig (Ficus carica). A mulberry producing black fruits does not by itself make it a black mulberry (M. nigra).

o

The leaves on the first picture were taken this summer the next picture was taken when the plant was only about 3 years old. I'm adding another picture of the entire plant growing next to a 7 foot fence. Maybe that might help.

o

Definitely Morus alba a weedy pest of a tree.

o

I've looked at all the pictures and read about the mulberry tree and it is just not this tree. I have two of them only because I rooted a cutting a few years ago. They have never had any blossoms or berries at all. So of course no weedy volunteers coming up anywhere. The leaves can be taken for about the same shape but not all all the same when put together. My leaves are very large (8-10 inches long)and have very deep cuts in them. I have even taken pictures of this leaf and tree and asked the botanical garden in san francisco and they haven't been able to id either. Any help would be appreciated.

o

Morus has male and female trees, hence the fruitless clones
available for sale. TRUST ME this is a White mulberry they have
HUGE leaves on vigorous young trees or plant severed near the
ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here if you still have doubts.

o
Local variations of Morus alba

intermediate form2

intermediate form a1

intermediate form1

intermediate form a1

Morus alba

o

Georgia, it's a mulberry. They're spread by birds, they eat the fruit then poop the seeds when they sit on a fence, that's why yours is along your fence. I had one in my back yard (on the fence) for years and never got any fruit from it at all. Impossible to kill.

o

Saltcedar, you know, by your photos and links, I think it might be a mulberry, lol!

o

Wasn't trying to convince you. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here