Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a Pepper or a Blueberry?

Posted by planopondnut z8Dallas (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 7, 09 at 22:21

I originally thought this was a wild pepper, like a pequin. The blooms and leaves look like a pepper to me. But the tiny round (1/4 in.) berries ripen directly from green (with light vertical veins in the skins) to dark purple. I have tasted one of the purple ones, carefully, and it was sweet! Lots of tiny edible(?) seeds inside, with purple flesh. This is a low mounding plant, about one ft. tall.

We have this plant growing on our sandy property in NE Texas. It is growing near an overhang, so that it gets sun for a few hours in the morning only. It is growing near where we keep water for washing hands.

Any ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: unknown berry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a Pepper or a Blueberry?

It's a solanum~not sure which one.

o

Ah!!!
Thanks Jaynine. I've been googling Solanum. Maybe it's a Garden Huckleberry? (Solanum nigrum var. melanocerasum)

-Sally

o

i agree with jaynine.
and i think you are right about it being solanum nigrum,
a weed we have alot of here in Au, common name 'blackberry nightshade'.
solanum are generally poisonous, so i wouldn't eat them.
though apparently its the green fruit that are most toxic and become less as they ripen.
hope i am helpful.

o

I found this interesting article on several variations of black nightshade. Some of the ripe berries are just vaguely sweet, or have a metallic aftertaste, though. Not like what I have.

The Chichiquelite (aka Miltomate Vallisto) might be closer to it. They are completely sweet, with glossy green berries (the Sunberry has dull green berries), hanging down (the Garden Huckleberry has berries that are more upright). But my flowers are white, not tinged with lavender.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunberry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here