Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danesnpits

Some kind of container filler

danesnpits
10 years ago

I got this plant as clippings, and the guy has no idea what it is but says he used it in containers to fill them up nice. The stems are thick, sort of velvety, and have the consistancy much like my parrot plant does, or even swedish ivy. Anyone have a clue what it is? I planted it in soil, but wondering now if I should have made the stalks shorter and rooted in water? Any info would be greatly appreciated! PS he did give me a swedish ivy slip, that is purple and I do have that one in water to root. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards this one also being a species of swedish ivy. Can't wait to hear what ya'll think!

Comments (8)

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

I think its Plectranthus verticillatus

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi alisonoz, I googled that one you mentioned, I am thinking this may not be it. I think this was kept outside in a container as a filler. I am just not sure!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure alisonoz is correct. This Plectranthus is often used in containers in the summer. (We don't know where you are, btw, so can't tell what your climate is.) P verticillatus is aka Swedish Ivy. It will root easily in soil or water. As for the 'purple Swedish ivy' that could be the same plant but discoloured by stress. If you post a picture we can tell you.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Your purple plant may be P. 'Mona Lavender.'

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi guys! Thanks for the ton of responses and ideas! I live in Saskatchewan, Canada..not sure my zone, as i know nothing about zoning. I am so brand new to indoor gardening and hope to build a greenhouse to do some other stuff and of course outdoor. This particular plant was grown outdoors in the summer then brought in, and snipped some clips for me. Nothing grows here in the winter with our frigid -45 Celsius winters. But there are perennials that do survive and come up every year. I do believe this is not one of them. Maybe that helps a bit? all i know is this was grown in a container with some outdoor geraniums.

10 years ago

Yes, these plants would not be hardy (able to survive) outside. They are common house plants, though, and should be satisfied with spending winter in a pot inside. As far north as you are, light recommendations for most indoor plants might not be enough in your location, I'd err on the side of more if in question. I have the pictured plant, 'Mona Lavender' and other Plectranthus, which are all fine with a decent amount of direct sun here, so would have no worries about sunburning the pictured plant while inside over winter where you are.

If you are interested in finding your zone, there's a zone finder for Canada.

• danesnpits
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi puprpleinopp!!! I actually have a ton of grow lights in my house with blooming hibiscus, plumbago, bogainvillea, mini roses etc at the moment! LOL..so what I did was planted these suckers in with my lemon lime draceana, wandering jew, and coleus...I am going to see what happens, as they are directly below the grow lights. Maybe they will flower, maybe not. They are trailing, don't stand upright at all. If somthing new happens with them, new growth, flowers etc, I will surely post pics! Thanks a bunch for all the help thus far!

10 years ago

That sounds awesome! I was out trading plants yesterday and brought home more Plectranthus, they are "happy" little plants. I'm sure you'll find a place there where your Plectranthus is very happy in the set-up you describe. Good luck! If you feel like yakkin' about it more, the house plants forum would be a good place to do that.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus