Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grass id please?

Posted by adidas 6/7 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 6:52

This grass was put down as a weed block (hay)but it contained seeds and every summer it grows to 4ft, smothers everything in its path and dies back around Sept. It is very easy to pull...I've taken a pic of its fine, hair roots...but there's so much of it! If other things could coexist w/it I wouldn't mind but it seems to make only the deer happy...mind you they don't seem to eat it they just like to lie in it!

Not sure that this matters....I'm in N. VA but up on a small mt. which has its own micro climate...10 degrees cooler than surrounding area.

Can anyone tell me what it might be? I don't need a definitive id...just some possibilities....I'm clueless when it comes to grass....Are there any other characteristics that I can look at for id purposes?

Thank-you!

This post was edited by adidas on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 7:01

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grass id please?

fine roots, easy to pull.

o

smothering affect....sept/oct.

This post was edited by adidas on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 6:59

o

another close-up of stems and leaves

o

Perhaps the invasive Japanese stiltgrass, Microstegium vimineum.
It was brought here as packing material for china/ porcelain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese stiltgrass

o

Thanks Carol! I think that's it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here