Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Forest Floor Finds Please!

Posted by countrycottageklutz 5a/b ON (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 11:12

During a far too long, far too strenuous wander throught the fall colours of Muskoka, Ontario (Canada) I came across these two plants that I'd love to know the names of please!
Some details:
1) Although growing together, I don't think they are the same plant.
2) Growing in a predominantly hemlock/hardwood part of the forest, even though the forest floor is covered with windblown maple/oak leaves. Damp/soggy even boggy ground conditions, although the "norfolk piney" clumps were slightly bigger/sturdier further from the wet foot areas.
3) The more "norfolk pine" of the two was 10cm/4" tall, soft, no scent that I could discern when rubbed/brushed, and the branches seemed to almost whorl around the main stem/trunk. Grew in bunches/clumps.
4) The straight spikey, brilliant green plant grew in the same area as the first, intermingled even, but the growth pattern was different. It grew in straight lines, across the forest floor, rhizome style as opposed to seeds, cuttings or ? The only smell I could discern was.....green LOL.

I apologize for the giant pictures! Trying to get as much detail in here, so I am not wasting your time.
 photo 030_zps4a8782d7.jpg

photo 031_zps4a000d84.jpg

Last question: in the first picture, are the small heart shaped leaves a wild violet or? Have a great day, and thanks for reading!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Forest Floor Finds Please!

For the plants in your first picture, you might look up pics of Lycopodium and see if they are what you discovered. Last year at this time during our own far to long and strenuous wander through the woods we found Lycopodium obscurum growing on the leafy forest floor. We are down here in Suffolk County, New York.

o

Thanks Ceris! Much appreciated ID on the Lycopodium. I am going to assume that the plants I found that seemingly match very closely to your ID, are just not as tall or "strong" due to growing with little to no light due to the huge stands of timber they are growing in.

"as well as the use of its spores for flash powder"..hmmm could have used some of that yesterday to blast my way out of this ever so lovely, yet never ending hike over hill and dale, granite rock outcroppings, trip roots, and glacial boulder faces!

o

The small heart shaped leaves look like violets to me.

o

Your first picture looks like it shows 2 different species of lycopods. They never grow very big and usually grow in shaded areas. The spore stalks are helpful for identifying some of the club mosses to species.

Hmmm, maybe I'll try for a flash powder spore fireball next time I'm out when the forest isn't dry. Fireball, yes! Forest fire, NO!!

o

Thanks Naturegirl :) I assumed they were "familial", at first thinking the spikier of the two was younger growth, but in actuality the spikier plant was a good 2"-3" taller, and most except for the ones I took pictures of LOL, had a 2" yellow/gold spike on the top, rather like new growth on full height/size pines, which seemed odd in that in a few weeks these plants will be under snow. Ah well, I'm not likely to be swashbuckling my way back there til spring, but I was rather enamoured with this delicate appearing swath of plants in a rather harsh terrain.

Thanks for your help everyone :) Having read a few pages online regarding the homeopathic uses of these plants, apparently I should be cured of all that ails me, except the charliehorse thighs I encountered the following day!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here