Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abner_danielle

Funeral arrangement

abner.danielle
9 years ago

When my aunt passed away, we were given this beautiful arrangement. Should I try to separate the plants into their own pots? I do not know how to take care of these plants. It was a beautiful arrangement, but now it just looks sad. What can I do?

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

It's a selecion of popular houseplants - looks like a prayer plant (Maranta), a Chinese evergreen (Aglaonema) and some sort of palm....maybe a couple of others :-) These would all be happiest in their own containers so perhaps repotting is advised.

You might want to repost on the Houseplants forum to get some more ID's and suggestions on proper care for each. It doesn't really look too bad.....just make sure it's getting enough but not too much water and bright but indirect light. And keep away from heat sources

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

1- Maranta (prayer plant)
    2- Spathiphyllum (peace lily)
    3- Dieffenbachia (dumbcane)
    4- Chamaedorea elegans (parlor palm)
    5- looks like Dracaena surculosa 'Florida Beauty,' but not totally sure. The other spotted leaves above and to the right of where I put the #5 on the pic may be something else, either Codiaeum (Croton) or Aucuba japonica.
    6- Philodendron hederaceum (heart-leaf vine)

This group of plants makes fine companions, similar tolerances for light and moisture, but these planters usually have a plastic liner with no hole in it. If excess water can't escape from the pot, the gamble of rotting the roots is extremely high (as well as facilitating a build-up of tap water chemicals.) For that reason, I would repot. Choosing to separate or repot together would be up to you.

Eventually, the Philo vine will get big enough to bully the other plants. To keep it in check, you can trim when necessary, &/or separate it from the crowd (now or later.)

Sorry about your loss.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 9:23

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i agree... the biggest... and usually only problem with florist plants... is that they put them in pots that dont drain ... and none of them are bog plants ....

first.. do you know the florist??? ... they might pot them up for you ... for a fee ..

second.. they were probably just unpotted to make the arrangement ... so now is a great time to tear it all apart ... with the understanding.. that that is two transplant shocks ... so they may react ...

third... they are very divergent plants... e.g. the palm will need little or no water.. 'compared' to some of the water hogs in there. ... and if planted together.. you MIGHT have a hard time watering PROPERLY ...

finally ... choosing the proper media will be the most important thing ... there is a little more to it.. than just buying a bag at bigboxstore ...

all these things can be covered in the houseplant forum ...

BTW ... purp gave you the latin names... using such for googling.. gets you much better information.. as compared to relying on common names...

condolences.. and good luck

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

"the palm will need little or no water."

After having a parlor palm for more than 20 years, I disagree with that.

• abner.danielle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for so much good information. I just had no idea and hate to kill them. I appreciate all the help!

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

Be careful and keep the dumbcane away from children and pets!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm